*Oprah Winfrey is playing the character Gloria Gaines in the upcoming historical drama “The Butler.” She recently opened up to theGrio’s Chris Witherspoon about her role and how it relates to Trayvon Martin.
“It’s so easy during this time… Trayvon Martin paralleled Emmett Till, let me just tell ya. In my mind. Same thing. You can get stuck in that and not allow yourself to move forward and see how far we’ve come,” she said. “Look at the butler’s life. Look at that opening scene, the hanging… and then the end. We need to give ourselves a round of applause. In this country, with all of its injustices, look at what we’ve been able to do in the span of one man’s lifetime.”
Several presidential administrations are showcased in the film including that of Lyndon B. Johnson, Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Ronald Regan, and President Barack Obama.
Oprah discussed how this film will affect the world’s impression of the Obama administration.
“To Look at all those administrations compared to Obama. I mean Obama will stand alone because of what that represented for the country,” she said. “I was so pleased that during the process of this interview, a white reporter sitting in the very chair that you’re sitting in, said ‘he didn’t realize until seeing this movie the depth of the importance of Obama.’ If you come away from this movie with that, well then we’ve done our job.”
“The Butler” hits theaters nationwide August 16.
Meanwhile, Sean Hannity and a couple of his “black friends” took advantage of Oprah’s Trayvon Martin/Emmett Till comment, to blast her as being racist. He got two of his best “black friends,” Deroy Murdock and Michael Meyers, to co-sign for him.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here