*Queen Latifah has been working hard behind the scenes on the Sony lot; putting together segments for “The Queen Latifah Show.”
On the table recently was the idea to bring on an Afghanistan war veteran, Purple Heart recipient and grandmother, whose own daughter endured a painful divorce and moved back home with her two daughters in tow.
Since returning from Afghanistan, she lives in a tiny apartment in the South and has worked to help other female veterans return to civilian life, help that wasn’t made available to her.
Supervising producer of “The Queen Latifah Show,”Jack Mori, is pitching a piece on her that may involve a significant home improvement project.
“The idea is, you go, get her backstory, see her family,” says Mori.
“In her tiny apartment,” adds executive producer and showrunner Corin Nelson.
“Do you like her?” asks Nelson.
Although Latifah likes “the idea,” she still wants to learn more about how she earned her Purple heart and the work she’s done with female veterans.
Nelson hands Latifah a photo.
“Are these her kids and grandkids?” she asks. “That’s her? She looks gooood. She looks like Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam.”
The room erupts in laughter.
“I love it,” declares Latifah. “So we’re going to go help them. Is there a chain saw involved in this I could get ahold of?”
At her core, Latifah remains one of the most accessible personalities in Hollywood. This quality is something Sony, which first approached Latifah more than a year ago, is counting on.
“Lah is every woman,” says her friend Jada Pinkett Smith, who co-starred with Latifah in the 1996 hit “Set It Off.”
For more on this story go to The Hollywood Reporter.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here