*Queen Latifah has been working hard behind the scenes on the Sony lot; putting together segments for “The Queen Latifah Show.”
On the table recently was the idea to bring on an Afghanistan war veteran, Purple Heart recipient and grandmother, whose own daughter endured a painful divorce and moved back home with her two daughters in tow.
Since returning from Afghanistan, she lives in a tiny apartment in the South and has worked to help other female veterans return to civilian life, help that wasn’t made available to her.
Supervising producer of “The Queen Latifah Show,”Jack Mori, is pitching a piece on her that may involve a significant home improvement project.
“The idea is, you go, get her backstory, see her family,” says Mori.
“In her tiny apartment,” adds executive producer and showrunner Corin Nelson.
“Do you like her?” asks Nelson.
Although Latifah likes “the idea,” she still wants to learn more about how she earned her Purple heart and the work she’s done with female veterans.
Nelson hands Latifah a photo.
“Are these her kids and grandkids?” she asks. “That’s her? She looks gooood. She looks like Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam.”
The room erupts in laughter.
“I love it,” declares Latifah. “So we’re going to go help them. Is there a chain saw involved in this I could get ahold of?”
At her core, Latifah remains one of the most accessible personalities in Hollywood. This quality is something Sony, which first approached Latifah more than a year ago, is counting on.
“Lah is every woman,” says her friend Jada Pinkett Smith, who co-starred with Latifah in the 1996 hit “Set It Off.”
For more on this story go to The Hollywood Reporter.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Done Deal: F. Gary Gray Confirmed to Direct ‘Fast & Furious 8’
- Kelly Rowland is the New Face of Seagram’s Escapes
- Temple Board of Trustees Set to Replace Bill Cosby with Tamron Hall
- Rinkins Report: FMU's Black Male College Explorers Program helps decrease achievement gap
- Janet Jackson, Chaka Khan, The J.B.’s Considered for Rock Hall
- Natalie Cole Cancels Fall Tour, Cites 'Medical Procedure'
- Donald Sterling Spotted Cursing Out Girlfriend at LA Restaurant
- Tyler Perry Reveals ‘Future Home of Tyler Perry Studios’ (Pic)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Offers A YEAR of 'Paid Leave' for New Moms and Dads
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here