*Allen Iverson, an 11-time All-Star who has not played in the NBA since 2010, is prepared to officially announce his retirement in the coming days, SlamOnline.com reports.
According to the report, the 38-year-old athlete has come to terms with the fact that his playing career is finished. He has not played professionally since 2011 in Turkey.
On his bobblehead night in Philadelphia in March, Iverson indicated he still hoped to return to the NBA. Just two months earlier, he turned down an opportunity to launch a comeback in the NBA Development League.
Iverson also previously rebuffed opportunities to sign lucrative deals in China, instead eyeing a return to the NBA.
Iverson averaged 26.7 points and 6.2 assists during his 14-year career that included stops with the Philadelphia 76ers, Denver Nuggets and Memphis Grizzlies.
“He might be the greatest athlete I’ve ever seen,” Larry Brown, Iverson’s coach from 1997-2003 with the 76ers, told Slam. “I don’t think there’ll be another one like him.”
Iverson, a former No. 1 overall pick out of Georgetown, was the 1997 Rookie of the Year, the 2001 MVP, a three-time All-NBA First-Team selection and a four-time scoring champion. He led the Sixers to the 2001 NBA Finals and is firmly cemented as one of the franchise’s all-time greats. He is the franchise leader in 40-point games (76) and 3-pointers (885), and is second behind Hal Greer in points (19,931).
In recent years, Iverson also has made headlines off the court. In December, divorce filings revealed he had serious financial issues.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Sheree Whitfield Lands Reality Series About ATL Real Estate
- Quvenzhane Wallis' Book Deal, J-Hud Says Son 'Saved My Life'
- Patti LaBelle, Quentin Tarantino + More on 'The Big Interview'
- 18,500 Parents, Students, and Educators Rally to Demand End to 'Tale of Two School Systems' in New York City [PHOTOS]
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Universal Pictures’ Steve Jobs is a Brilliant Look into a Genius' Mind
- Raven Symone Hates Ethnic Names, Nicki Minaj Beef, Kardashian's Named 1st Family | BHL's This Week
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here