*According to filings with the state of New York and the IRS, Al Sharpton’s nonprofit group currently owes $871,688 in unpaid payroll taxes including penalties and interest.
His foundation, the National Action Network, was founded in 1991 but has been dodging it’s financial problems for years. The organization has a deficit of more than $1 million, with Sharpton loaning money to the organization amounting to about $111,000.
“Since February 2010, the Organization has been in the process of negotiating an offer in compromise to settle all payroll taxes and related interest and penalties owed by the Organization to the Internal Revenue Service,” according to the New York filing, which is an audited financial statement dated November 13, 2012. “The Organization feels that the likelihood of a favorable outcome is highly likely.”
The spokesperson from the group has yet to comment. Back in 1993, Sharpton pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor tax offense to avoid felony charges, the Post said in a 2012 editorial.
The seriousness of NAN’s tax problem cannot be understated, according to an expert on nonprofits.
“He could really get into a lot of trouble,” says Daniel Borocoff, the head of CharityWatch, a watchdog group, in an interview with MSN moneyNOW. “It’s a red flag that the group may go under.”
Read more at MSN.com
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here