*According to filings with the state of New York and the IRS, Al Sharpton’s nonprofit group currently owes $871,688 in unpaid payroll taxes including penalties and interest.
His foundation, the National Action Network, was founded in 1991 but has been dodging it’s financial problems for years. The organization has a deficit of more than $1 million, with Sharpton loaning money to the organization amounting to about $111,000.
“Since February 2010, the Organization has been in the process of negotiating an offer in compromise to settle all payroll taxes and related interest and penalties owed by the Organization to the Internal Revenue Service,” according to the New York filing, which is an audited financial statement dated November 13, 2012. “The Organization feels that the likelihood of a favorable outcome is highly likely.”
The spokesperson from the group has yet to comment. Back in 1993, Sharpton pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor tax offense to avoid felony charges, the Post said in a 2012 editorial.
The seriousness of NAN’s tax problem cannot be understated, according to an expert on nonprofits.
“He could really get into a lot of trouble,” says Daniel Borocoff, the head of CharityWatch, a watchdog group, in an interview with MSN moneyNOW. “It’s a red flag that the group may go under.”
Read more at MSN.com
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th B-day and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce from Lamar Odom ... Again!
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here