*Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that after Russia issued the U.S. a “slap in the face” granting Edward Snowden asylum, President Barack Obama was “absolutely right” to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“The president is absolutely right not to go to Moscow for a bilateral conversation with Putin. There’s nothing to talk to about,” Rice, an expert in Russia, told Charlie Rose in an interview aired on “CBS This Morning.” “The slap in the face to the United States of America of giving asylum to Edward Snowden, the president absolutely cannot go to a bilateral conversation with Putin.”
Rise stated that the U.S. has few “overlapping interests” with Russia left and that it’s time to reevaluate dealing with the country.
“President Obama tried to, quote, ‘reset’ relations with Russia. We reset and Russia didn’t, and so the question is what’s left of our interest in dealing with this Russia,” Rice said.
Although she was very forthcoming with her opinions, she would not weigh in on the move by the administration over the weekend to shut 19 embassies for the week.
“I know what it’s like to sit in that seat and I am not going to second guess the president and the secretary of State,” Rice said, according to a transcript provided by CBS.
She did say, however, that the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, should impact the president and Secretary of State John Kerry’s thinking.
“They should have been influenced by Benghazi. Because clearly, we didn’t have security measures on the ground in Benghazi on September 11th, an anniversary that the Islamists took advantage of,” Rice said. “Rhetoric matters. When you say, al Qaeda is on the run, al Qaeda is — they’re not. Al-Qaeda has morphed into something different.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Kobe to Receive 'Legend' Award, Gilbert Arneas Trolls Nick Young
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here