*Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that after Russia issued the U.S. a “slap in the face” granting Edward Snowden asylum, President Barack Obama was “absolutely right” to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“The president is absolutely right not to go to Moscow for a bilateral conversation with Putin. There’s nothing to talk to about,” Rice, an expert in Russia, told Charlie Rose in an interview aired on “CBS This Morning.” “The slap in the face to the United States of America of giving asylum to Edward Snowden, the president absolutely cannot go to a bilateral conversation with Putin.”
Rise stated that the U.S. has few “overlapping interests” with Russia left and that it’s time to reevaluate dealing with the country.
“President Obama tried to, quote, ‘reset’ relations with Russia. We reset and Russia didn’t, and so the question is what’s left of our interest in dealing with this Russia,” Rice said.
Although she was very forthcoming with her opinions, she would not weigh in on the move by the administration over the weekend to shut 19 embassies for the week.
“I know what it’s like to sit in that seat and I am not going to second guess the president and the secretary of State,” Rice said, according to a transcript provided by CBS.
She did say, however, that the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, should impact the president and Secretary of State John Kerry’s thinking.
“They should have been influenced by Benghazi. Because clearly, we didn’t have security measures on the ground in Benghazi on September 11th, an anniversary that the Islamists took advantage of,” Rice said. “Rhetoric matters. When you say, al Qaeda is on the run, al Qaeda is — they’re not. Al-Qaeda has morphed into something different.”
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here