*Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that after Russia issued the U.S. a “slap in the face” granting Edward Snowden asylum, President Barack Obama was “absolutely right” to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“The president is absolutely right not to go to Moscow for a bilateral conversation with Putin. There’s nothing to talk to about,” Rice, an expert in Russia, told Charlie Rose in an interview aired on “CBS This Morning.” “The slap in the face to the United States of America of giving asylum to Edward Snowden, the president absolutely cannot go to a bilateral conversation with Putin.”
Rise stated that the U.S. has few “overlapping interests” with Russia left and that it’s time to reevaluate dealing with the country.
“President Obama tried to, quote, ‘reset’ relations with Russia. We reset and Russia didn’t, and so the question is what’s left of our interest in dealing with this Russia,” Rice said.
Although she was very forthcoming with her opinions, she would not weigh in on the move by the administration over the weekend to shut 19 embassies for the week.
“I know what it’s like to sit in that seat and I am not going to second guess the president and the secretary of State,” Rice said, according to a transcript provided by CBS.
She did say, however, that the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, should impact the president and Secretary of State John Kerry’s thinking.
“They should have been influenced by Benghazi. Because clearly, we didn’t have security measures on the ground in Benghazi on September 11th, an anniversary that the Islamists took advantage of,” Rice said. “Rhetoric matters. When you say, al Qaeda is on the run, al Qaeda is — they’re not. Al-Qaeda has morphed into something different.”
- Rain Pryor Talks Race, Richard Pryor and ‘Fried Chicken & Latkes’
- Exclusive: Dayo Okeniyi Has Pivotal Role in 'Terminator Genysis'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: The Malignant Hate Cancer Took Nine Lives
- Allen West: Confederate Flag is ‘Manufactured Political Crisis’ by Left
- Panel Photos: Beautiful Textures Presents 'Who Wore What,' BET Awards Fashion Recap [Photos]
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here