*Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that after Russia issued the U.S. a “slap in the face” granting Edward Snowden asylum, President Barack Obama was “absolutely right” to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“The president is absolutely right not to go to Moscow for a bilateral conversation with Putin. There’s nothing to talk to about,” Rice, an expert in Russia, told Charlie Rose in an interview aired on “CBS This Morning.” “The slap in the face to the United States of America of giving asylum to Edward Snowden, the president absolutely cannot go to a bilateral conversation with Putin.”
Rise stated that the U.S. has few “overlapping interests” with Russia left and that it’s time to reevaluate dealing with the country.
“President Obama tried to, quote, ‘reset’ relations with Russia. We reset and Russia didn’t, and so the question is what’s left of our interest in dealing with this Russia,” Rice said.
Although she was very forthcoming with her opinions, she would not weigh in on the move by the administration over the weekend to shut 19 embassies for the week.
“I know what it’s like to sit in that seat and I am not going to second guess the president and the secretary of State,” Rice said, according to a transcript provided by CBS.
She did say, however, that the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, should impact the president and Secretary of State John Kerry’s thinking.
“They should have been influenced by Benghazi. Because clearly, we didn’t have security measures on the ground in Benghazi on September 11th, an anniversary that the Islamists took advantage of,” Rice said. “Rhetoric matters. When you say, al Qaeda is on the run, al Qaeda is — they’re not. Al-Qaeda has morphed into something different.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Sinead O'Connor Being Sued By Arsenio Hall for Defamation
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here