According to McDaniels, today’s hip hop stars release “bad demos” and “stupid America celebrates a person being a drug-dealer.”
“If you want to see real hip hop you gotta go to concerts and festivals because hip hop on radio sucks!” he said during a chat with Guilty Pleasures. “Ninety-eight per cent of hip hop music that’s out now I say is just bad demos.”
McDaniels, also known as DMC, feels that there is a lack of responsibility taken on by rappers such as Jay Z and Lil’ Wayne. DMC vows to personally kick their “ass out of hip hop.”
“Lil Wayne, Jay Z ain’t hot, it’s just they’re programmed so many times people are brainwashed,” he shared. “A rapper will use this excuse – ‘man they don’t go after Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis when they make their violent movies’ and I go ‘if you’re going to use that excuse get off the mic, don’t produce,’” he said, adding, “I’ll personally kick your ass out of hip hop cos if you’re using that excuse go be an actor.”
Although he doesn’t deny that he and his associates Joseph ‘Run’ Simmons and Jason ‘Jam Master Jay’ Mizell, made ‘negative records’ during their reign in hip hop, he says they backed it up with something positive.
“If you make a record about a gun, on that very same record or album there’s gotta be a record about not using a gun. If you’re making a record on the b**** or the h*es, there’s got to be a record about your aunt who worked all of the days of her life to send all her children to college,’ the Queens native said.
“It seems like stupid America celebrates a person that says ‘yeah I’m a drug dealer, I’m bringing the drugs into the hood.’ The reason why hip hop exists is because it started out with good intentions, once all the good intentions left the music became polluted, it became disrespectful it became immature.”
Run-DMC looks to bring a bit of old school positivity back with their new FW13 Adidas Originals campaign featuring DJ A-Trak.
“When we made the record for adidas we didn’t make it to get an endorsement, it wasn’t about business. We took positivity and made it gangsta, we never knew we would do something historic,” said DMC.
‘We saw those shell-toe sneakers and said ‘those are dope’ and we made a song about it.’
Run-DMC and A-Trak collide for a new global adidas Originals campaign #Unitealloriginals which includes a remix of Run DMC’s ‘My Adidas’ track
Get MORE of this story at Metro.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here