*Desmond Tutu was temporarily suspended from Twitter Thursday for “aggressively following” other users, just hours after he joined the site.
the Nobel Peace Prize winner and ex-archbishop was able to collect hundreds of followers in just a few hours before being black listed.
“Twitter says it’s ‘sorry for the inconvenience’ over our suspension. We got caught up in a spam clean up. Glad it wasn’t something we said,” Tutu tweeted soon after he was unblocked.
His foundation had earlier expressed dismay at the decision.
“Twitter has not explained how following 30 people could be construed as ‘aggressive following’,” his foundation said in a statement.
The foundation suggested “the number of people who followed @TutuLegacy in a short space of time,” may have also been to blame.
“I hope the powers that be at Twitter find it in their hearts to fix the problem and let us communicate again,” Tutu’s daughter Mpho said.
“We need to reassure all those people who started following us today that this is the real deal!”
Earlier that day word got out about someone robbing Tutu’s Cape Town home and taking “small household items,” while leaving Tutu and wife unharmed.
As far as Tutu’s Twitter account( TutuLegacy @TutuLegacy), it was restored and the former archbishop sent this apology tweet:
“We’re back! Thanks for all the support.”