*On Sunday, August 25, TV One will premiere Harry Belafonte’s 2011 documentary “Sing Your Song,” which delves into his life as a rising black Hollywood star during the racially fueled America of the 1960s and his involvement in the civil rights movement.
“As one of the most celebrated entertainers of the era, Harry Belafonte’s unrelenting support of the 1960s civil rights movement helped to spotlight and give voice to the hardships and prejudices faced by millions of Americans,” said Maureen Guthman, SVP of Program Strategy and Acquisitions for TV One.
“We are delighted to bring his story to the wider basic cable audience – both those who were raised on his songs and films, and younger viewers who can absorb the documentary and appreciate Belafonte’s legacy in conjunction with the March on Washington anniversary.”
The film highlights the obstacles Belafonte faced throughout his life, and how he transcended into a human rights activist and heroic cultural and political figure.
“Sing Your Song” features interviews with Belafonte’s family, and notable names such as Tony Bennett, Diahann Carroll, Ruby Dee, Whoopi Goldberg, Quincy Jones, Coretta Scott King, Rep. John Lewis, Miriam Makeba, Nelson Mandela and Sidney Poitier, among many others.
Produced by Belafonte Enterprises and S2BN Entertainment in association with Julius R. Nasso Productions, “Sing Your Song” screened at numerous film festivals worldwide, receiving acclaim along the way.
It received a limited theatrical run, and eventually aired on premium cable network HBO in October 2011.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Report: Janet Jackson Pregnant With First Child at Nearly 50
- Radio Stations Nationwide to Simulcast Prince’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ on Wed
- Woman Stabs Boyfriend For Not Getting Her a Valentine’s Gift (Video)
- Attorney for Prince's Addiction Specialist Explains Pills Found in His Medical Bag (Watch)
- Cynthia Bailey, Stacey Dash Cast in Syfy’s ‘Sharknado: The 4th Awakens’
- Lee Daniels Writes Apology Letter to Sean Penn, Ending Defamation Suit
- Kanye West Reportedly Fired Security Guard for Trying to Talk to His Wife
- Prince Being Added to Apollo Theater’s Walk of Fame
- Jay Z To Tell ‘His Side ’ of Beyonce Marriage in New Album (Report)
- Heartbreaking: Teen Bullied on Social Media Over Her Prom Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here