*A photo of Will Smith and family reportedly aghast at Miley Cyrus’ raunchy performance at the MTV Video Music Awards went viral on Monday, but was attributed to the wrong act.
The still photo – which was first reported as proof that a gyrating, nearly naked Cyrus was too much even for a jaded Hollywood crowd – was picked up by such outlets as Us Weekly, Business Insider, MSNBC, Yahoo News and dozens more, including EURweb.
On Monday morning’s “Fox & Friends” on the Fox News Channel, during a segment on the Cyrus performance, for example, the still photo of the Smiths appeared onscreen along with the caption, “What am I watching? Smith family reaction captured in picture.”
In a similar segment on “Morning Joe” on MSNBC, the photo is shown and co-host Joe Scarborough exclaims, “Look at Will Smith’s family!” and co-host Mika Brzezinski says solemnly, “That’s it, right there.”
But as MTV itself was quick to point out, it wasn’t true. The image of the Smiths was indeed from Sunday night’s VMAs, but it was captured while the family watched Lady Gaga perform, not Cyrus.
Also, the Smiths aren’t staring in shock or disbelief, as the viral photo suggests. Daughter Willow’s mouth isn’t agape in astonishment, she’s just in the midst of chewing her gum.
Indeed, the Smith family was also seen briefly on TV watching the now-infamous Cyrus performance, though they don’t seem bothered or surprised by it. Son Jaden appears a bit bored, in fact. It’s at the 2:50 mark of the entire performance, seen below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (10-09-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Iyanla Vanzant Interview | Black Hollywood Lives' Conversations (Watch)
- Here’s How the Man Murdoch Calls a 'Real Black President' Will Govern
- Karrueche Says Career Suffering Because Of Chris Brown
- Nicki Minaj Ends Interview After 'Rude' Questions About Drake, Meek Mill
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here