*CRWN is a live interview series pairing the biggest names in hip-hop with one of the most respected names in hip-hop media for an intimate conversation conducted in front of a live, ticketed audience.
Host Elliott Wilson is well-known for having artists’ respect, allowing for a relaxed and open dialogue. In the new episode, presented in three parts by Myspace. Macklemore, prior to winning at the recent 2013 MTV VMAs, sat down with Wilson. Below, he discusses how he became that guy with the record you can’t get out of your head, having faith in the process and being vulnerable, his addictions and recovery, and how he doesn’t give a shit if people think he’s gay.
“There’s very few people that have the gift of keeping it conversational,” said Macklemore of the sold-out Seattle event. ‘It’s like you’re talking to a homie about rap music; that’s the rare type of interview that (Wilson) gives, and that’s what I’m interested in.”
As the Macklemore episodes show, the language, topics and crowds may be more colorful, but the format does have similarities to James Lipton gone wild. As founder of the influential EgoTrip magazine and Rap Radar site, former editor-in-chief of XXL and current editor-in-chief of RESPECT magazine, Wilson has interviewed such luminaries as Jay-Z, the Notorious B.I.G., Mobb Deep, Rick Ross, Drake, A Tribe Called Quest, DMX, Big Daddy Kane, Ja Rule, DJ Khaled , Lauryn Hill, The Fugees, every member of the Wu-Tang Clan, and many others over the course of his career.
“You know, all rapping is storytelling, so to be able to get up there and tell stories in the same way I would do on a record – some comedy and going deep on certain subjects, says Macklemore. “It’s let me showcase who I am. it’s just connecting with people. Shit was fun man!
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have emerged as a premier international hip-hop group and currently grace the cover of Rolling Stone. The single “Thrift Shop” has been viewed on YouTube over 398 million times, and reached number 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2013, selling more than 2.2 million copies.
Watch the interview:
Watch Macklemore’s massive hit, “Thrift Shop”:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here