Unique indeed, the photo joins a series of other shots capturing iconic beauty in an almost uncomfortable creative way.
Nonetheless, the curvaceous actress, who co stars with another Bazaar beauty, Zoe Kravitz, in “Yelling to the Sky,” unashamedly slathers herself in what some are calling her all time best captured character pose, donning a red hooded cape, leather-looking jacket. With Gabby on the cover, in all of her voluptuousness and ebony black hue, Harper’s made a big step for high-end fashion magazines, perhaps a step above Italian Vogue.
Though fashion magazines are taking strides in some ways to include more Black models and other people of color, some critics are not quite satisfied with the way the fashion industry is moving in terms of diversity.
The New York Times recent published an article revisiting the disparity between models of color on the fashion runway. After Italian Vogue shot a complete issue of Black models, many held out for changes to take place in the industry and have essentially been taking notes.
It appears the numbers are still the same.
The fashion industry needs revamping for several reasons, including racial stratification and representation of the real woman.
Gabourey’s appearance not only says something about the world of fashion, but also speaks to the need to iconize women (people) across the color and size spectrum. Whether or not Bazaar, which caters to a primarily white audience, intended to make an impact the way the magazine potentially has with this recent issue is another conversation. But in the meantime, Gabourey’s beauty deserves to be celebrated.
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here