Unique indeed, the photo joins a series of other shots capturing iconic beauty in an almost uncomfortable creative way.
Nonetheless, the curvaceous actress, who co stars with another Bazaar beauty, Zoe Kravitz, in “Yelling to the Sky,” unashamedly slathers herself in what some are calling her all time best captured character pose, donning a red hooded cape, leather-looking jacket. With Gabby on the cover, in all of her voluptuousness and ebony black hue, Harper’s made a big step for high-end fashion magazines, perhaps a step above Italian Vogue.
Though fashion magazines are taking strides in some ways to include more Black models and other people of color, some critics are not quite satisfied with the way the fashion industry is moving in terms of diversity.
The New York Times recent published an article revisiting the disparity between models of color on the fashion runway. After Italian Vogue shot a complete issue of Black models, many held out for changes to take place in the industry and have essentially been taking notes.
It appears the numbers are still the same.
The fashion industry needs revamping for several reasons, including racial stratification and representation of the real woman.
Gabourey’s appearance not only says something about the world of fashion, but also speaks to the need to iconize women (people) across the color and size spectrum. Whether or not Bazaar, which caters to a primarily white audience, intended to make an impact the way the magazine potentially has with this recent issue is another conversation. But in the meantime, Gabourey’s beauty deserves to be celebrated.
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here