Unique indeed, the photo joins a series of other shots capturing iconic beauty in an almost uncomfortable creative way.
Nonetheless, the curvaceous actress, who co stars with another Bazaar beauty, Zoe Kravitz, in “Yelling to the Sky,” unashamedly slathers herself in what some are calling her all time best captured character pose, donning a red hooded cape, leather-looking jacket. With Gabby on the cover, in all of her voluptuousness and ebony black hue, Harper’s made a big step for high-end fashion magazines, perhaps a step above Italian Vogue.
Though fashion magazines are taking strides in some ways to include more Black models and other people of color, some critics are not quite satisfied with the way the fashion industry is moving in terms of diversity.
The New York Times recent published an article revisiting the disparity between models of color on the fashion runway. After Italian Vogue shot a complete issue of Black models, many held out for changes to take place in the industry and have essentially been taking notes.
It appears the numbers are still the same.
The fashion industry needs revamping for several reasons, including racial stratification and representation of the real woman.
Gabourey’s appearance not only says something about the world of fashion, but also speaks to the need to iconize women (people) across the color and size spectrum. Whether or not Bazaar, which caters to a primarily white audience, intended to make an impact the way the magazine potentially has with this recent issue is another conversation. But in the meantime, Gabourey’s beauty deserves to be celebrated.
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice-T & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here