Ali, the director of Project Islamic Hope and a coalition of civil rights and community organizations are calling for an immediate public apology from comedienne Sheryl Underwood who is also co-host of “The Talk” which airs nationwide on CBS. On the episode which was aired on Aug 30th Underwood made disparaging comments concerning African American women who wear their hair naturally. Underwood who upon hearing that model Heidi Klum saves her children cut hair responded that “Why would you save Afro hair?” She went on to imply that nobody wants that type of hair, saying that you never hear of a woman in a hair shop asking for that “curly, nappy, beady hair.”
And as we reported, co-host Sarah Gilbert chimed in, saying she sometimes saves her children’s hair. But Underwood interjected, saying that it was “probably some beautiful, long, silky stuff,” implying that the type of hair is desirable and worth saving.”
“Oh really. Say what!?” — a flabbergasted Najee Ali probably said to himself. Well, obviously we don’t know exactly what he said to himself, but here’s what he’s saying publicly about the matter:
“Underwood essentially spit in the face of every African American who wears their hair naturally. She unfortunately is obviously filled with self hate. Beauty comes in all shades and hair texture. Our coalition isnt going to allow Underwood or anyone to mock and ridicule African Americans who choose to wear their hair naturally. Were demanding a public apology from Underwood those that we’re offended by her disparaging remarks.”
Also, the Compton NAACP isn’t please with Underwood, either:
“On behalf of the NAACP of Compton Underwood comments were in poor taste .Its difficult enough giving encouragement to African American women who choose to wear their hair naturally , but Underwood comments which were broadcast nationally we’re very painful and hurtful to listen to,” stated Paulette Simpson Gibson President of NAACP of Compton, CA.
Sponsored by: Project Islamic Hope
Black women’s forum
Occupy South L.A.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jennifer Lopez to Host & Perform the '2015 American Music Awards'
- Instagram Users Post Pics of Male North West Look-alikes
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here