*Good Lord. The shooting and mass violence situation in Chicago seems to getting worse instead of better.
Earlier this week there was the mass shooting in Washington, DC at the Navy Yard that resulted in a dozen people being killed.
In Chicago last night another mass shooting occurred. 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, were wounded.
It happened Thursday at about 10:15 p.m. local time in a working-class neighborhood called Back of the Yards in Chicago’s South Side, NPR’s Cheryl Corley reports.
She adds that “one witness told the Chicago Sun-Times that men fired at him from a car before turning toward a park. That’s where the victims — several adults, two teenagers and the 3-year-old, were shot on a basketball court.”
As of dawn Friday, Cheryl says, “no one had been taken into custody. Police were interviewing victims to determine the circumstances but say the shooting appears to be gang-related.”
According to the Chicago Tribune, the 3-year-old “suffered a gunshot wound to the head at an ear that exited through his mouth, and was in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital, police said. The oldest victim, according to the Tribune, was 41 years old.
This is horrible, horrible news. Get the full story at NPR.