*Paps caught 10-year-old Oscar nominee Quvenzhane Wallis on the Harlem, NY set of “Annie” earlier this week.
The actress, who wowed audiences with her raw performance in 2012’s “Beast of the Southern Wild,” is taking on the iconic character for an urban reboot from producers Jay-Z and Will Smith.
Oscar winner Jamie Foxx has signed on to play Benjamin Stacks (the “Daddy” Warbucks role); and Cameron Diaz will star as Miss Hannigan. The movie hits theaters on Christmas Day 2014.
In the photos, Wallis is riding a CitiBike, New York’s public rentable two-wheelers, wearing a pink sweatshirt, T-shirt, denim skirt, gray tights, pink high-tops and a polkadot backpack.
When the remake was first announced in 2011, Smith’s daughter Willow was attached to play the lead character. But early this year, she backed out. Speaking at Temple University in February, Smith recounted how his daughter broke the news to him.
“Willow was supposed to be doing Annie, we got Jay-Z to do the movie, got the studio to come in, and Willow had such a difficult time on tour with ‘Whip my Hair,’ and she said, ‘You know, Daddy, I don’t think so,’ ” he shared. “I said, ‘Baby, hold up!’ I said, ‘No, no, no, listen — you’ll be in New York with all of your friends and Beyoncé will be there. You will be singing and dancing,’ and she looked at me and said, ‘Daddy, I have a better idea, how about I just be 12.’ “
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (02-09-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here