George Zimmerman has been taken into custody following an incident involving a gun, CBS News has confirmed.
In a telephone interview the Lake Mary, Florida police chief says George Zimmerman is in “investigative detention” after his estranged wife, Shellie, called authorities to say he was threatening her and her parents with a gun.
Lake Mary police say they were called to the Sprucewood Road home of Shellie Zimmerman’s parents Monday afternoon, reports CBS affiliate WKMG. Lake Mary police spokesman Zach Hudson tells the station police are “trying to determine what exactly happened.”
No arrests have been made, reports the station.
Police are investigating a “possible domestic battery,” the Orlando Sentinel reports. No significant injuries were reported, police said, according to the report.
The incident comes days after Shellie Zimmerman filed for divorce and discussed her relationship with George Zimmerman in a TV interview.
George Zimmerman, 29, was acquitted of second-degree murder in the Feb. 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on July 13. The case made international news after it took police several weeks to arrest Zimmerman in the case.
Shellie Zimmerman has also had trouble with the law. On Aug. 28, she pleaded guilty to misdemeanor perjury and was sentenced to one year of probation. She had been accused of lying about the couple’s financial situation when she testified at George Zimmerman’s bond hearing in June 2012.
On the same day she pleaded guilty, Shellie Zimmerman told ABC’s Good Morning, America that she would “think about” staying married to her husband.
Zimmerman has been pulled over for speeding twice since his acquittal. See video below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Songs in the Key of Stevie Wonder and Imhotep Gary Byrd: Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship (EUR Exclusive)
- Former NBAer Delonte West is NOT Homeless - Sugar Babies Are Winning?
- Olympics-Bound Gymnast Simone Biles Can Not Be Stopped (Watch)
- Judge Joe Brown Banned from Practicing Law in Tennessee
- DMX Joins Keke Palmer, Aunjanue Ellis in Indie Film ‘Pimp’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here