George Zimmerman has been taken into custody following an incident involving a gun, CBS News has confirmed.
In a telephone interview the Lake Mary, Florida police chief says George Zimmerman is in “investigative detention” after his estranged wife, Shellie, called authorities to say he was threatening her and her parents with a gun.
Lake Mary police say they were called to the Sprucewood Road home of Shellie Zimmerman’s parents Monday afternoon, reports CBS affiliate WKMG. Lake Mary police spokesman Zach Hudson tells the station police are “trying to determine what exactly happened.”
No arrests have been made, reports the station.
Police are investigating a “possible domestic battery,” the Orlando Sentinel reports. No significant injuries were reported, police said, according to the report.
The incident comes days after Shellie Zimmerman filed for divorce and discussed her relationship with George Zimmerman in a TV interview.
George Zimmerman, 29, was acquitted of second-degree murder in the Feb. 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on July 13. The case made international news after it took police several weeks to arrest Zimmerman in the case.
Shellie Zimmerman has also had trouble with the law. On Aug. 28, she pleaded guilty to misdemeanor perjury and was sentenced to one year of probation. She had been accused of lying about the couple’s financial situation when she testified at George Zimmerman’s bond hearing in June 2012.
On the same day she pleaded guilty, Shellie Zimmerman told ABC’s Good Morning, America that she would “think about” staying married to her husband.
Zimmerman has been pulled over for speeding twice since his acquittal. See video below.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- NeNe Leakes Announces She's Leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- Child Dies on Father's Day After Dad Leaves Her in Hot Car to Go Drinking
- Jada Pinkett Smith 'Magic Mike XXL' & Objectification (Watch)
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here