It looks like “The Butler” is going to get served by Vin Diesel‘s “Riddick” at the box office. If it happens that would mean that the 3-week run of being number one at the box office for “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” will be over. That’s how it’s looking as of now.
“Riddick” opened with $7.3 million Friday and should finish the three days with around $18 million. That’s not bad, but it’s not exactly great either. It received “B” CinemaScore, so its chances of connecting beyond its base of sci-fi fans and Diesel’s followers appear limited, even though it’s the week’s only wide release, says the Hollywood Reporter.
It’s been nine years since the last film in the series, “The Chronicles of Riddick,” and “Riddick” won’t match the $24 million opening weekend of that one. “Chronicles” went on to take in $115 million worldwide but had a hefty $105 million production budget. Universal also distributed the first film in the series, the 2000 cult hit “Pitch Black,” which was Diesel’s breakout movie.
The studio opted out after the second film, but Diesel secured the rights from Universal (in exchange for a cameo in “Fast and Furious”), sought out the financing to get the $38 million film made and dominates the screen as the intergalactic alien anti-hero. Universal came back on board to distribute.
Meanwhile, second place at the box office is looking like a tight race between the civil rights themed “The Butler,” which stars Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker and the comedic “We’re the Millers” starring Jennifer Anniston. Both films brought in $2.3 million Friday and are looking at a three-day total of just under $8 million.
“The Butler” fell just 35 percent from last week, and is up to more than $85 million domestically in its fourth week. “We’re the Millers” was off just 27 percent and is now up to $116 million in its fifth week.
Read MORE at the Hollywood Reporter.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here