It looks like “The Butler” is going to get served by Vin Diesel‘s “Riddick” at the box office. If it happens that would mean that the 3-week run of being number one at the box office for “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” will be over. That’s how it’s looking as of now.
“Riddick” opened with $7.3 million Friday and should finish the three days with around $18 million. That’s not bad, but it’s not exactly great either. It received “B” CinemaScore, so its chances of connecting beyond its base of sci-fi fans and Diesel’s followers appear limited, even though it’s the week’s only wide release, says the Hollywood Reporter.
It’s been nine years since the last film in the series, “The Chronicles of Riddick,” and “Riddick” won’t match the $24 million opening weekend of that one. “Chronicles” went on to take in $115 million worldwide but had a hefty $105 million production budget. Universal also distributed the first film in the series, the 2000 cult hit “Pitch Black,” which was Diesel’s breakout movie.
The studio opted out after the second film, but Diesel secured the rights from Universal (in exchange for a cameo in “Fast and Furious”), sought out the financing to get the $38 million film made and dominates the screen as the intergalactic alien anti-hero. Universal came back on board to distribute.
Meanwhile, second place at the box office is looking like a tight race between the civil rights themed “The Butler,” which stars Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker and the comedic “We’re the Millers” starring Jennifer Anniston. Both films brought in $2.3 million Friday and are looking at a three-day total of just under $8 million.
“The Butler” fell just 35 percent from last week, and is up to more than $85 million domestically in its fourth week. “We’re the Millers” was off just 27 percent and is now up to $116 million in its fifth week.
Read MORE at the Hollywood Reporter.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Public Invited to Watch Kendrick Lamar Receive Key to the City of Compton
- Why Are (White) People Suddenly Afraid of Beyonce's Black Pride?
- Jada Pinkett-Smith Addresses Idris Elba's 'Beasts' Oscar Snub
- Aaron Neville Brings His Quintet to Santa Monica ... and Shares His 'True Story' With EURweb
- For My Animal Loving Friends, Check Out This Unlikely Pair! (Watch)
- Toronto Councillor Want Beyonce Investigated for Black Panther Ties
- He Used to Walk 21-Miles to Work, Now He Drives & is Overweight
- Malcolm Jamal Warner on Ride-Or-Die Friendship Between OJ and AC (Exclusive)
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here