*Jennifer Hudson gets her Olivia Pope on in a a new “Funny or Die” video aimed at touting the virtues of Obamacare.
The actress plays an Olivia Pope-like fixer in a spoof of Kerry Washington’s lead character in “Scandal.”
“I prefer ‘covert scandal manager,’ ” Hudson says when asked if she’s a “fixer.”
Titled “Scandalous,” the video has her running around the nation’s capital, meeting potential clients on park benches and in dark alleyways, hoping to solve some salacious publicity puzzles. Instead, she finds herself explaining the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Looking like Olivia Pope in a chic white trench coat, Hudson’s character, Lydia Cole, asks one distraught woman, “What’s your issue?”
“My company’s healthcare,” the woman replies, “it doesn’t cover mammograms.”
“The ACA covers preventative care for women’s health,” Hudson says. “That’s it? Girl, go find you a scandal.” [Scroll down to watch.]
The parody is the start of an effort by a small group of Hollywood entertainers who hope to persuade young Americans to sign up for the new government medical coverage this fall.
Hudson, Amy Poehler and representatives for Oprah Winfrey and Alicia Keys met with senior White House officials in July to discuss ways to use pop culture to inform younger citizens about the program, Reuters reported at the time.
The result is a collaboration with Funny or Die, which produces viral comedy videos popular with Americans under 30. Mike Farrah, president of production for Funny or Die, told Reuters that the video was privately funded and not paid for by the government.
“If there was ever any money for Funny or Die – which there never was – I’m sure it would have been cut by the sequester long ago,” he joked.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here