*Kanye West was reportedly paid $3 million to play a wedding in Kazakh over the weekend, but the money grab may backfire. Turns out the groom is the grandson of Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, who has been repeatedly criticized by rights groups for his authoritarian rule and squeezing dissent in the Central Asian state.
Aisultan Nazarbayev celebrated his marriage to bride Alima Boranbayeva in a no expense spared party on Saturday night at the Royal Tulip hotel in Almaty, the Tengri news website reported. West, a personal guest of Nazarbayev, was seen in pictures and videos published on Instagram and other social networking sites of the guests. Instagram video showed a gaggle of young wedding guests, their backs to the stage, posing for pictures with West as he performed “Can’t Tell Me Nothing.”
Photographer Helen Gadjilova attended the wedding and took the below Instagram video of Kanye . [Watch below.] According to the New York Times, she refused to comment.
Such appearances by celebrities in autocratic Central Asia have backfired for stars in the past.
Jennifer Lopez was vehemently criticized for appearing at a birthday party for Turkmenistan’s strongman President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov this year.
British pop star Sting cancelled a concert he was due to give in Kazakhstan in July 2011, blaming violations of the human rights.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here