*“Lee Daniels’ The Butler” took in an additional $5.4 million in its fifth weekend for The Weinstein Co., pushing the movie’s North American total past the $100 million mark.
This makes Daniels the third black director to have a film clear that milestone after John Singleton and Tim Story.
In 2003, Singleton’s “2 Fast 2 Furious” earned just north of $127 million domestically. Story’s “Fantastic Four” (2005) and “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer” (2007) grossed $154.7 million and $132 million, respectively, in North America.
“The Butler” has become a box office hit because it’s able to play to all audiences. According to Harvey Weinstein’s team, 52 percent of ticket buyers were black on opening weekend and now 67 percent of the audience is white. It’s quickly becoming a family play.
With an August release, “The Butler” was looking to mirror the success of another civil-rights themed film, “The Help.”
In the film, Forest Whitaker plays a White House butler who serves through eight presidential administrations, a character inspired by the real-life story of the late Eugene Allen.
Oprah Winfrey, who plays the butler’s wife, has provided an enormous marketing boost for the movie because of her avid fanbase.
“The Butler” already is considered an awards contender, particularly for Whitaker and Winfrey’s performances.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Flavor Flav to Face Vegas Judge in DUI Case
- TV One's 'News Now' Devotes Show to NAACP Image Awards
- Derek Fisher Fired As Head Coach of the Knicks
- Claudia Jordan on Jealous 'The Next :15' Cast & Calling Black Women 'Monkeys' [EUR Exclusive]
- Could Whoopi Goldberg’s ‘Slave’ Mentality Get Her Fired From ‘The View’?
- Angry Tweets Force Twitter CEO Urge Calmness, Not Much Will Change
- Secret Chapter 13 Filing Puts Tyga in Bankrupt Mode
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here