*“Lee Daniels’ The Butler” took in an additional $5.4 million in its fifth weekend for The Weinstein Co., pushing the movie’s North American total past the $100 million mark.
This makes Daniels the third black director to have a film clear that milestone after John Singleton and Tim Story.
In 2003, Singleton’s “2 Fast 2 Furious” earned just north of $127 million domestically. Story’s “Fantastic Four” (2005) and “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer” (2007) grossed $154.7 million and $132 million, respectively, in North America.
“The Butler” has become a box office hit because it’s able to play to all audiences. According to Harvey Weinstein’s team, 52 percent of ticket buyers were black on opening weekend and now 67 percent of the audience is white. It’s quickly becoming a family play.
With an August release, “The Butler” was looking to mirror the success of another civil-rights themed film, “The Help.”
In the film, Forest Whitaker plays a White House butler who serves through eight presidential administrations, a character inspired by the real-life story of the late Eugene Allen.
Oprah Winfrey, who plays the butler’s wife, has provided an enormous marketing boost for the movie because of her avid fanbase.
“The Butler” already is considered an awards contender, particularly for Whitaker and Winfrey’s performances.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Black Male Valedictorian, Straight A Student, Barred from Walking Grad Stage
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here