Yep, “Money” Mayweather has done it again. His undefeated record continues. Basically, in the opinion of many observers at the fight, Mayweather took Avarez to school.
Despite Mayweather’s accuracy and poise, one judge didn’t view it as a dominant performance. Mayweather got stronger and more accurate as the fight wore on, picking apart Alvarez en route to winning a majority decision and the unified super welterweight titles before a sold-out, raucous crowd of 16,746.
Judge CJ Ross scored it a draw, 114-114, eliciting boos from the crowd. The other judges scored it 117-111 and 116-112 for Mayweather, who came in as a nearly 3-1 favorite. Ross has been involved in controversial decisions in the past. She scored the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight in 2012 for Bradley.
“I thought it was a joke,” Mayweather said.
Her scorecard was criticized roundly on Twitter by boxing writers at the fight who had Mayweather with a much more dominant performance.
“I’m not in control of what the judges do,” said Mayweather, 36, wearing metallic blue gloves and blue and silver snakeskin trunks. “I’m a little shocked. … Things happen in the sport of boxing. Everything is a learning experience.”
Get MORE of this story at USA Today.
You could say that Floyd Mayweather’s overpowering performance against Canelo was embodied in defining punch. Watch it below
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Moya Angela: Dreamgirls' 'Effie' Speaks Exclusively to EURweb
- Aretha Franklin Covers 'Purple Rain' at International Jazz Day (WATCH)
- New Woman Claims She’s Prince’s Long-Lost Half Sister; Seeks Piece of Estate
- Donald Trump Mocks Carly Fiorina’s Stage Fall: ‘Anybody See That? She Went Down’
- Malia Obama Takes One-Year Deferment Prior to Harvard Start
- Prince Talks Michael Jackson's Death, Chris Brown in Never-Published 2014 Rolling Stone Interview
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here