*Wow. Now, here’s an interesting and somewhat mind-boggling story.
A Georgia mom, Vickie McBride, and her son, Maurice McBride, both recently received their PHDs on the SAME day.
What’s also interesting and quite frankly mind boggling, is that Vickie gave birth to Maurice when she was only 13-years-old!
“Never in a thousand, million, trillion years [did I expect to get my PhD]. The thought of becoming a doctor anyone was far-fetched,” said Dr. Maurice McBride.
Getting his diploma was important, but sharing the stage with his mother is one of the highlights of his life
“I never thought I would get chance to see my mother walk across the stage and then she turned around and saw me walk across the stage,” he said.
Considering the history of the McBrides, their accomplishment is something to be celebrated.
“At the age of 13 I got pregnant with Maurice,” said Dr. Vickie McBride. “It was shunned upon and of course the older people in the community were whispering.”
But that didn’t stop her or her mother. Vickie stayed in school while her mother, a retired teacher, helped out with Maurice.
“As a teenager I continued my education. That was never an option,” explained Vickie.
She made it to college and graduate school all while raising Maurice and eventually 3 other children.
“I had to figure out how to work and how to parent and how to manage school all at the same time.” she said.
Maurice, now 37, had his own struggles. At just 16 years old he dropped out of high school.
Get those details and more of this story at Augusta, GA’s WRDW-TV.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Naturi Naughton Feels Tasha St. Patrick is Relatable, Not Unrealistic
- D’Angelo a No-Show for Scheduled Prince Tribute at BET Awards
- #BlackTwitter to Justin Timberlake After Praising Jesse Williams: ‘He’s Talking About You, Tho’
- Jesse Williams Reminds BET Audience Why He’s #ActivistBae (Watch the Full Speech)
- Watch: This Young Brother Met an 'Angel' at Krogers in Memphis
- Jill Scott Marries Longtime Boyfriend Mike Dobson; He Surprises Her with Big Daddy Kane at Reception (Watch)
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here