*Oprah Winfrey is keeping “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” in the family.
Her cable channel OWN announced today that it has secured network television rights to the film in which she stars alongside Forest Whitaker.
OWN has licensed the first broadcast window behind pay television beginning in 2017. The critically acclaimed Weinstein Company film, which opened nationwide on Friday, August 16, spent three straight weekends at No. 1 and recently surpassed $100 million at the box office.
“OWN is the ideal broadcast home for this film, which has had such a tremendous response from theatrical audiences,” commented The Weinstein Company Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein. “It’s been an honor to work alongside Oprah Winfrey, whose performance and support on the picture have been second to none, and we’re thrilled that her network has come on board.”
- Former Detroit Lions RB Mel Farr Dies at 70
- Craig Robinson, Amandla Stenberg & Megan Good in NBC's 'Mr. Robinson' (Watch!)
- Lenny Kravitz Plays Through Severe Wardrobe Malfunction (NSFW Video)
- Angela Carr Patterson/The Issues of Fatherless Daughters: The Stakes are Too High
- Andre Royo Talks Reunion with ‘Wire’ Co-Stars for Baltimore's ‘Wired Up’
- Toure Fired By MSNBC; Returns to Twitter after Yearlong Hiatus
- Happy Birthday Mr. President! Today is Barack Obama's 54th B-day
- Brandon Boykin Fires Latest Racism Claim at Eagles Coach Chip Kelly
- Steven Ivory: How to Survive a Break Up
- Donald Trump: Obama Blew it for Future Black President Hopefuls
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here