*A waitress at a Red Lobster in Franklin, Tenn., was reportedly left a racist message on a receipt over the weekend — only to be suspended by the restaurant for violating company policy when she posted a photo of the receipt on Facebook.
Red Lobster waitress Tori Christina Jenkins, who is black, allegedly received the message on Saturday. In the tip section, instead of leaving a gratuity, the customer apparently wrote, “None n**ger.”
Her father posted a screenshot of the message to Facebook Sunday night, saying he hopes it will make people more aware “[t]hat we still have much ignorance to overcome.”
Red Lobster spokesman Mike Bernstein told The Huffington Post in an email that the company has temporarily suspended Jenkins with pay as a result of the incident, which he said is “standard procedure” when an employee violates a company policy (in this case, publicly posting a receipt.) But Bernstein emphasized that Jenkins has not missed a single day of work because of her suspension and is still scheduled to work this week as usual.
He added that Red Lobster is “extremely disturbed” by the situation and is currently investigating to determine exactly what happened.
“We take this extremely seriously,” he wrote. “This kind of language is completely disgusting and has no place in our restaurant or anywhere else, and we are committed to getting to the bottom of what happened as quickly as possible.”
Jenkins had posted a photo of the offensive receipt on Saturday, but she has since pulled it down. Her father’s post remained up as of Monday afternoon.
Jenkins has worked at Red Lobster in Franklin since December 2012, according to her Facebook page.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here