*So after Red Lobster waitress Toni Christina Jenkins posted the receipt that a customer left with the N-word on it to her Facebook page, she says she got reprimanded from her bosses when she returned to work Thursday.
“They wanted me to sign something that said I understand that I violated company policy by posting the picture,” Toni Christina Jenkins, a 19-year-old nursing student, told the NY Daily News.
The receipt in question, that read “Tip . . . . . none. Total . . . N—-r,” was left Saturday after Jenkins served two customers at the Red Lobster where she works in Franklin, Tenn.
“I felt like I got kicked in the stomach. It was hard to receive,” she said. “Initially, I just put it by the wayside. The manager said, ‘You didn’t do anything to deserve that so don’t let it get to you.'”
Jenkins said when she posted the receipt she didn’t expect it to go viral.
“It wasn’t to get back at the gentleman,” Jenkins said. “I knew his signature was there, but I didn’t know his actual name was printed on the receipt. My intention wasn’t to attack the guy.”
The customer, who’s name is Devin Barnes, did recently admit to signing “none” on the tip line but denied writing the racial epithet.
“I do not approve of the use of that type of talk, not now or ever!!!” Barnes said.
As we reported, Barnes’ attorney, Richard Dugger, told NBC News that the young man is innocent and someone else is to blame for the disturbing language.
“Whoever put that on that receipt was very wrong,” Dugger said.
Both Jenkins and Barnes said they have gotten threats since the incident made national headlines. Jenkins is far from angry with Barnes now and even said that she would hug him if given the opportunity.
“I can only imagine what he’s going through because he’s on the other end. I don’t wish anything bad against him at all,” she said.
Jenkins, who lives with her parents, said that she is working at Red Lobster to save up enough money for a car.
“I don’t want anymore drama in my life,” she said. “I just want to go to work, get the money for a car and go to school. … That’s all.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Trump Tweets Pic of Himself Eating Taco for Cinco de Mayo; Writes ‘I Love Hispanics!’
- Whoopi Goldberg Ready to Leave ‘The View’?
- 50 Cent Donates $100,000 to Autism Speaks after Mocking Teen
- Genealogical Firm Vets Man Claiming to be Prince’s Biological Son
- Watch ‘Little Miss Flint’ Run Into President Obama’s Arms (Video)
- Paul McCartney Covers ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ During Minneapolis Concert (Watch)
- Beyonce Adds Dates to North American Leg of Formation Tour
- NewsOne Now: Chicago Pastor Sues Police for Road Rage Attack (WATCH)
- Puff Daddy Announces Retirement from Music to Focus on Acting
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Cast, Directors Talk Black Panther, Spider-Man and ‘Selfish’ Cap (EUR Exclusive)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here