Actress/director Regina King has her hands full these days.
The Cali-bred native (who most of us fell in love with as Brenda Jenkins on 227) continues to grow in Hollywood.
Dabbling in movies and TV, EURweb media partner theJasmineBRAND.com recently chatted with the 42-year-old mother about her latest project(s), mentoring up and coming actors and more.
Check out the interview below.
So what do we have going on on TV-wise, movie-wise, project-wise?
Always things in the work. Just most recently, I directed my 1st film, starring Naturi Naughton…
Can you tell me a little bit about that?
The movie is called “Let The Church Say Amen”. It’s a movie about a pastor who’s dedicated his life to his church and neglected his family. And when we meet this family, it’s when the kids are growing up and kind-of adds to the height of the dysfunction – the result of the father not being there. And it makes you laugh, it makes you cry. Amazing performances by Steve Harris, Lela Rochon, Hosea Chanchez – so I’m really excited about that. It’s going to be screening at MegaFest, August 29th.
I have to ask you – when I spoke to Naturi, she said that she felt like you were mentoring her, like a big sister. You’ve been in the industry for quite some time – how do you mentor and shape actors and actresses? Is it that a conscious effort or is it just natural?
You know I don’t feel like it’s a conscious effort, most times. I mean, like when I was a cheerleading coach, I think that was more of conscious effort because I never was a cheerleader.
So you were a coach but you never cheered?
I was, let me take that back. I was a cheerleader for 2 weeks because I wanted to take a picture in the uniform. So after I took the picture in the uniform, I quit. But that’s the only thing I’ve quit. So most times I don’t feel like it’s a conscious thing. I think that’s when you really are giving and receiving, when you’re doing it – because you want to or – that’s just a passion transferring that energy with someone else.
Last question is about your body. It looks good! So how do you keep in shape?
You know, just – I get it in where I can fit it in. I do work out but you know what? I’m blessed with great arms from my father. So I will have to say that I’m kind of lucky that way. But I do work out – I work my lower body out, often. I eat what I want, but I don’t eat what I want all the time. So I give myself like a day or 2, depending on what’s going on in the week. To get all of that comfort food in me, but for the most part I try to eat healthy. You know, proteins, vegetables – not mixing my proteins and carbs – there are so many rules. We’re in L.A – juicing – all of that.
For the full interview, visit theJasmineBRAND.com.
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here