*The Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association has announced that Shaquille O’Neal has become an owner of the team through a minority share he recently purchased. He will be introduced as part of the team’s new ownership group on Tuesday, reports ESPN.
O’Neal has been consulting with the Kings since the summer, when majority owner Vivek Ranadive asked him to mentor young big man DeMarcus Cousins. O’Neal has a long business and personal relationship with 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov, who is another of Ranadive’s partners, and Mastrov arranged the introduction between the future Hall of Fame center and Ranadive.
In recent weeks, sources said, the conversation expanded into O’Neal taking a small piece of the franchise. The Kings declined to say how much of a stake O’Neal bought.
Observers can’t help but note that this is an interesting turn of events because O’Neal at one time called his LA Lakers rivals the the “Sacramento Queens” after a tense seven-game Western Conference finals in 2002.
And what a series that was. O’Neal and the Lakers blocked the Kings from reaching the NBA Finals and of course it creating a lot of animosity between the two teams that still prevalent.
- People of Note: Jazz at Lincoln Center Opens their 28th Season in the Bronx
- The Great American Phone Lease...
- THE (09-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kim Coles' Fairytale Wedding Set to Air on WEtv
- Brooklyn Woman Accepts Meager $10K for Cops' Harassment Over Dead Husband
- Tomica Wright Talks Eazy-E's Legacy in Unreleased Documentary
- Reginald Hudlin, David Hill Tapped to Give 88th Oscars a Makeover
- Will Master P’s Ex-Wife Drama Be Included in Reality Show?
- Gov. Nikki Haley to #BlackLivesMatter: You Don’t Have to ‘Yell and Scream’ (Watch)
- Dwight Howard Brings Loaded Glock to Houston Airport, Avoids Arrest
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here