*The Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association has announced that Shaquille O’Neal has become an owner of the team through a minority share he recently purchased. He will be introduced as part of the team’s new ownership group on Tuesday, reports ESPN.
O’Neal has been consulting with the Kings since the summer, when majority owner Vivek Ranadive asked him to mentor young big man DeMarcus Cousins. O’Neal has a long business and personal relationship with 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov, who is another of Ranadive’s partners, and Mastrov arranged the introduction between the future Hall of Fame center and Ranadive.
In recent weeks, sources said, the conversation expanded into O’Neal taking a small piece of the franchise. The Kings declined to say how much of a stake O’Neal bought.
Observers can’t help but note that this is an interesting turn of events because O’Neal at one time called his LA Lakers rivals the the “Sacramento Queens” after a tense seven-game Western Conference finals in 2002.
And what a series that was. O’Neal and the Lakers blocked the Kings from reaching the NBA Finals and of course it creating a lot of animosity between the two teams that still prevalent.
- NYC Principal Commits Suicide After Found Cheating on Common Core Test, DOE Releases Statement (Video)
- Gilbert Arenas' Deadly Accuracy Gets Him Banned From County Fair
- Khloe Kardashian Denies Cocaine Use at Kylie's Graduation Party
- Jill Scott Set to Perform Live on ABC's 'GMA' Tuesday at 7 AM
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Funeral to be Held This Week; Family Source Says She Will Be Buried Near Her Mother Whitney Houston
- Derek Luke Slams Instagram Trolls, Defends Interracial Marriage
- Bill Cosby Story Triggers Hacker Attack on New York Magazine Website
- Sandra Bland Co-Inmate Certain Suicide is Cause of Death
- Anthony Davis Turned Down 'DWTS' Because, 'I Can't Dance'
- Dionne Warwick Says Bobbi Kristina, 'In Much Better Hands Now’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here