Natural hair enthusiasts in particular have been finding camaraderie online by drawing attention to their hair, as demonstrated by the more than 6 million Instagram selfies labeled with a #naturalhair or #curlyhair hashtag.
To help the everyday woman and the digital diva alike put her hair on the map, the maker of Sofn’free Nothing But hair-care products has created State of the Curl Nation (www.nothingbuthaircare.com/map), an online gathering point that maps Instagram photos shared by the natural hair community across the United States. The interactive Google Map displays an expandable image for every geo-tagged photo uploaded by a mobile phone through Instagram’s photo-sharing platform and designated with a #NothingButHair hashtag. The map also allows women to focus on particular hair types and styles throughout the country by searching various hashtags that Instagrammers assigned to their photos, such as #Twistout and #WashAndGo. Each week through mid-October, Nothing But will award two participants on the map, each with a prize of a $50 Sally Beauty Supply gift card, a Nothing But t-shirt, and a selection of Nothing But hair-care products.
Do curls in Seattle look much different from curls in Miami? Are braids in Brooklyn more intricate than those in Los Angeles? “We’ll see some interesting regional trends in style, length and color as the map becomes populated by Instagrammers,” said Will Williams, Director of Education and Product Development for Nothing But. “Women will appreciate the chance to represent natural hair in their market and also the option to virtually tour the country, one curl at a time.”
Founder of International Natural Hair Meetup Day Adeea Rogers remarked, “This initiative aligns beautifully with the purpose of INHMD – connecting women across the country to celebrate the beauty and versatility of natural hair.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here