*With a shortage of femcees in the game right now, BET should’ve lit a fire under female hip hop hopefuls by awarding the “I Am Hip Hop Award” to legendary female rapper MC Lyte.
The award was presented by fellow female rapper Eve during the eighth annual BET Hip Hop Awards held at the Boisfeuillet Jones Altanta Civic Center on Saturday.
“She set the precedent for female freestylers,” Eve said of MC Lyte. “I’m truly, truly honored. She has meant so much to me in my career.”
Lyte was one of the first female emcees to really take off back in the late 80s after releasing her album “Lyte As A Rock.” She penned such early hits as “RuffNeck” and “Poor Georgie.” As of late you can find Ms. Lyte focused on the continuation of her community based organization Hip Hop Sisters Network. HHSN is a non-profit launched to help promote positive images of women and have leaders in the industry come together for the sake of supporting young women.On the career side, among her many endeavors is co-hosting the weekly radio show, Cafe Mocha.
A special video tribute featuring Will Smith, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Queen Latifah also aired for the veteran rapper. “Please keep the dream alive, I am with you,” Lyte urged other female rappers during her acceptance speech.
Lyte joins other honorees such as Rakim, Russell Simmons, Salt-N-Pepa and Grandmaster Flash. Stay tuned for the rapper’s new reality show Hip Hop Sisters along with Lil’ Mama, Yo Yo and Monie Luv.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- T.I. New York City Concert Shooting: 1 Dead, 3 Wounded
- Generation Rent: How Young Families are Adapting to Apartment Living
- THE (05-26-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EUR on the Scene: 2nd Annual Alma Del Barrio Salsa Festival
- People of Note: Paying Tribute to Michael
- The Legend Continues Mathew Knowles, Beyonce' & Blue Ivy
- Gabby Douglas Hits The Gym For More Than 30 Hours Each Week
- Three White Athletes Charged with Alleged Rape of Black, Disabled Teammate
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here