He says he finds fault with Obama’s plans especially on the heels of the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington.
Smiley voiced his opinion on the matter in a Sunday TV appearance on ABC’s “This Week” with George Stephanopoluous.
“At the risk of being the odd man out, let me just add some broader context,” Smiley said. “Just days ago, we were celebrating fifty years since the March on Washington. President Obama stood where Dr. King stood fifty years ago, and we honored Martin with our words in Washington. Now here we are days away from dishonoring him with our deeds in Syria.”
“There’s the issue of violence. War, Dr. King would say were he here, is not the answer. We cannot worship at the altar of retaliation,” Smiley said. “It’s either non-violent co-existence or violent co-annihilation, Dr. King would say were he here.”
Smiley also said on roundtable that whatever the U.S. decides to do, “This is connected to Iraq, it’s connected to all of our history and we can’t honor him with our words and then dishonor him days later.”
You can read more at theGrio.
Watch Tavis’ comments below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Keke Wyatt's Emotional Cover of Prince’s ‘Diamonds and Pearls’ (Watch)
- Al Sharpton Rips Larry Wilmore’s ‘My N**ga’ Salute to Obama (Watch)
- Justin Lin in Talks to Direct Lebron James in 'Space Jam 2'
- New Daytime Talk Show ‘The Preachers’ to Get Summer Test Run (Video)
- Oprah Winfrey to Star in HBO Films' ‘Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’
- Kerry Washington Pregnant With Second Child
- Steve Harvey’s Twin Daughters to Co-Host ‘Twin Hour’ Episode (Clip)
- Jay Z, Blue Ivy Do the Kid-N-Play Dance at Beyonce’s Formation Tour (Watch)
- Helen Mirren Rocks Purple Dress and Prince Tattoo at WHCD (Pics)
- Man Who Claims He Owns Entire Prince Catalog Challenged by Estate
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here