As we reported, adult film star Cameron Bay tested positive for HIV last month which prompted a week long voluntary halt on shooting in the industry. Now a performer named Rod Daily, who is both involved in gay porn and in a relationship with Bay, announced on Tuesday that he tested positive as well.
Daily told the Los Angeles Daily News that he tested at a Arizona clinic and the Free Speech Coalition – the industry trade group that oversees a database of all performers’ STD tests – initially said that it had not been formally notified of the case.
Then, Friday afternoon a new moratorium was issued by the coalition because they received word that another performer had tested positive for HIV. It wasn’t made clear if that performer was in fact Daily or a third party.
UPDATE: Free Speech Coalition spokeswoman Joanne Cachapero said late Friday that the new case involved a third performer.
All performers who tested prior to Aug. 19 were required to retest if they wanted to continue performing and would have the cost covered by the coalition.
“While we don’t have evidence to suggest an on-set transmission as opposed to a transmission from non-industry (off-camera) related activity, we are taking every measure to determine the source and to protect the performer pool,” the coalition said in the statement.
The HIV cases have added fuel to a push for a statewide mandate for condom use in adult films. L.A. County voters approved such a mandate last year, which is the subject of an ongoing court battle.
The AIDS Healthcare Foundation, an advocacy group pushing for the statewide condom rule, launched a robocall campaign Thursday against Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Los Angeles), who they allege halted the legislation. Gatto denied that he was holding the bill back. Gatto held a previous version of the measure in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. The current bill, authored by Isadore Hall (D-Compton), is on hold in the Senate because it is too similar to the bill that was held.
For more of this story go to the LA Times.
- The Socialist's Journal: The Peril of Being Hillary Clinton
- Gunshots Damage 3 Luxury Cars At Studio Connected with Rick Ross
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here