As we reported, adult film star Cameron Bay tested positive for HIV last month which prompted a week long voluntary halt on shooting in the industry. Now a performer named Rod Daily, who is both involved in gay porn and in a relationship with Bay, announced on Tuesday that he tested positive as well.
Daily told the Los Angeles Daily News that he tested at a Arizona clinic and the Free Speech Coalition – the industry trade group that oversees a database of all performers’ STD tests – initially said that it had not been formally notified of the case.
Then, Friday afternoon a new moratorium was issued by the coalition because they received word that another performer had tested positive for HIV. It wasn’t made clear if that performer was in fact Daily or a third party.
UPDATE: Free Speech Coalition spokeswoman Joanne Cachapero said late Friday that the new case involved a third performer.
All performers who tested prior to Aug. 19 were required to retest if they wanted to continue performing and would have the cost covered by the coalition.
“While we don’t have evidence to suggest an on-set transmission as opposed to a transmission from non-industry (off-camera) related activity, we are taking every measure to determine the source and to protect the performer pool,” the coalition said in the statement.
The HIV cases have added fuel to a push for a statewide mandate for condom use in adult films. L.A. County voters approved such a mandate last year, which is the subject of an ongoing court battle.
The AIDS Healthcare Foundation, an advocacy group pushing for the statewide condom rule, launched a robocall campaign Thursday against Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Los Angeles), who they allege halted the legislation. Gatto denied that he was holding the bill back. Gatto held a previous version of the measure in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. The current bill, authored by Isadore Hall (D-Compton), is on hold in the Senate because it is too similar to the bill that was held.
For more of this story go to the LA Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Idris Elba Lands Romantic Drama; Samuel L. Jackson Pursues ‘Revival’ Role
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Beyonce Backlash, Cam Newton Criticized, Black Panther Party Documentary & More! | BHL's This Week
- The Deya Direct Podcast: What is a Man Whisperer?
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Screen Actors Guild Honors Outstanding Performances at 22nd Annual SAG Awards
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Russell Simmons Announces All Def Movie Awards
- Aretha Franklin to Perform for First Time Ever in Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here