*The Trayvon Martin Foundation received a $50,000 donation on behalf of community organizations and businesses.
The donation will be awarded to four high school seniors who will receive college scholarships.
Orlando donors Boyland Auto Group, LLC, Invictus Law Group, P.L., Boyz-4-Lyfe, and the brothers of Delta Xi Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. all contributed towards the donation.
According to a press release, the scholarship were given in memory of Trayvon Martin to help disadvantaged students.
The scholarships will be given out in Spring 2014.
“The purpose of this scholarship is to bridge the socio-economic gap among young people of color in the U.S., through educational opportunities for disadvantaged students who cannot afford a college education,” said the CEO of Boyland Auto Group, Dorian S. Boyland.
“We are doing what we can to make the world a better place by not being divisive but by uplifting our community through educational opportunities for kids who otherwise, would not have the same opportunity.”
The four Orlando-based businesses and organizations who helped contribute to the donation are each established and led by African-American men who are dedicated to uplifting their communities, reads the release.
It says, “These men want to make a positive difference in this tragic situation by contributing to the lives of young people through the Trayvon Martin Foundation.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Done Deal: F. Gary Gray Confirmed to Direct ‘Fast & Furious 8’
- Kelly Rowland is the New Face of Seagram’s Escapes
- Temple Board of Trustees Set to Replace Bill Cosby with Tamron Hall
- Rinkins Report: FMU's Black Male College Explorers Program helps decrease achievement gap
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here