*The late great entertainer extraordinaire Ray Charles will be honored with a Ray Charles Forever postage stamp on Monday September 23rd which would have been his 83rd birthday. As part of its Music Icons Forever series, the U.S. Postal Service will be unveiling the stamp hosted by the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles.
Charles’ daughter Raenee Robinson-McClellan says, “I think I speak for all of our family that we are very grateful for the U.S. Postal service honoring Dad in such a way.”
The limited-edition stamp will be made available for purchase the same day. In conjunction with the stamp’s debut, a retrospective CD/DVD set titled Ray Charles Forever will be released on Tuesday September 24. The CD will feature 12 tracks, including covers of such memorable tunes as “A Song for You,” “Come Rain or Come Shine,” “Imagine” and “America the Beautiful.” The DVD will offer 20 minutes’ worth of footage, including rare concert performances of “Imagine,” “They Can’t Take That Away from Me” and “A Song for You,” as well as vintage interviews with Ray.
The complete list of the Ray Charles Forever CD is as follows:
“Song for You”
“I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town”
“Ring of Fire”
“Come Rain or Come Shine”
“They Can’t Take That Away from Me”
“Till There Was You”
“Isn’t It Wonderful”
“None of Us Are Free”
“If I Could”
“So Help Me God”
“America the Beautiful”
“I Didn’t Know What Time It Was” (bonus track)
Here’s the schedule for the event:
DAYTIME PROGRAM (1:00 pm-2:00 pm)
· 1:00 p.m.: Musical performance by students
· 1:15 p.m.: “Ray Charles Stamp” Dedication – officials of USPS ,City Officials, Ray Charles Foundation will be present, includes remarks and photo ops
· 1:45 p.m.: Musical performance by students
· 2:00 p.m.: Program concludes, stamp to be available for sale in Grammy Museum throughout the rest of the day
EVENING PROGRAM (7:30 pm -8:30 pm)
· 7:00 p.m.: Doors open
· 7:30 p.m.: Video presentation on Ray Charles
· 7:45 p.m.: Panel discussion including Bob Santelli, Executive Director of The Grammy Museum, Valerie Ervin, President of The Ray Charles Foundation; John Burk, CEO, President of Concord Music/Telarc; Anthony Hamilton, R & B Singer; Michelle Williams, Singer, songwriter and performer.
· 8:15 p.m.: Musical performances by Michelle Williams and Anthony Hamilton
· 8:30 p.m.: Program concludes
· 8:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m.: – VIP Reception on 4th Floor of Grammy Museum
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Dogs Bark, Sharks Attack, And Alligators Eat People
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits 2016 Pt.2
- THE (06-28-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Experience Fan Fest-The Future of Neo-Soul and Rap (PHOTOS)
- 'Have and Have Nots' Tyler Lepley Talks Growth, Humility & More
- Shaq's Family Lands Reality Show - TV PD Blasts LeBron for Cussin'
- Woman who Loathed Gun Control, Shoots Two Daughters to Death
- Michael Jackson Called Prince 'One Of The Rudest People I Have Ever Met'
- Anthony Anderson Joins Queen Latifah-Produced Travel Series ‘The Best Place to Be’
- Al Qaeda to Lone Wolves in U.S.: Only Target Whites to Avoid ‘Hate Crime’ Label
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here