“It’s changing every month. To put a sequel together of that magnitude is an enormous undertaking,” Emmerich said. “I sometimes say, ‘No, Will Smith will not be in it,’ because he didn’t want to do it at first. Now, we have a meeting planned and we want to talk about it again. Anything can happen.”
Emmerich previously told the New York Daily News that due to monetary reasons, Smith was out of the project.
“Will Smith cannot come back because he’s too expensive, but he’d also be too much of a marquee name,” Emmerich said at the time. “It would be too much.”
Both Smith’s return to the sequel and the film’s exact release date are both up for discussion. Fox set July 3, 2015 as the film’s release date, but in the Digital Spy interview, Emmerich said it would likely not be ready until 2016.
By the way, speaking of 2016, the original “Independence Day” will turn 20 years old on July 3, 2016.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kellita Smith Joins the Cast of 'In the Cut'
- FBI: No Evidence Orlando Gunman Omar Mateen Was Gay
- Vince Wilfork: 'Big Boned' NFL Lineman Brings the Sexy to ESPN's 'Body Issue' (PHOTOS)
- Tina Lawson Explains Why Beyonce Hated Her Wedding Dress
- Ciara, Kim Kardashian, Chrissy Teigen Cameo in Fergie’s New ‘M.I.L.F. $’ Video (Watch)
- NFL’s Jason Pierre Paul Shows Blown Up Hand in New Firework Safety PSA (Watch)
- Fugitive Shanika Minor from FBI’s Most Wanted List Caught in North Carolina Motel
- Tavis Smiley: Prince ‘Locked Himself in his Bedroom for Days' After Michael Jackson Died (Watch)
- Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles Cover Teen Vogue, Talk Body Acceptance (Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here