The film brought in a very impressive $960,000 from only 19 theaters in six top markets, which means each location grossed an average of $50,526. “12 Years a Slave” takes the reigns as the best of the weekend and one of the biggest averages ever for a release in that amount of theaters.
Since its world premiere during the Telluride Film Festival, the New Regency and Plan B/Fox Searchlight release has received remarkable reviews and earned an A CinemaScore. In “12 Years a Slave” we follow the story of the character Solomon Northup, played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, who lives in upstate New York as a free black man kidnapped and sold into slavery.
The film also stars Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Lupita Nyong’o, Sarah Paulson, Paul Giamatti, Alfre Woodward, Paul Dano and Brad Pitt, who owns New Regency and Plan B along with Dede Gardner.
Searchlight, which financed the $22-million production along with New Regency Pictures, River Road Entertainment and FilmFour, opened the film in a mixture of art-house and urban theaters. The film performed best this weekend at the Regal Union Square Stadium in New York, followed by the ArcLight Cinema in Hollywood.
“In the art houses, we had an older audience — mostly people over 45,” said Frank Rodriguez, Searchlight’s senior vice president of distribution. “In the African American skewing theaters, it was really mixed — an equal amount of people over 40 and under 40.”
On Friday, “12 Years a Slave” will open in six additional cities and increase its total theater count to more than 100.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here