*The prosecution wanted a long sentence for Kwame Kilpatrick and today they got their wish.
The former mayor of Detroit was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison for corruption, the apparent last step after a series of scandals destroyed his political career and help steer a crisis-laden city even deeper into trouble.
Kilpatrick, who served as mayor from 2002 until fall 2008, fattened his bank account by tens of thousands of dollars, traveled the country in private planes and even strong-armed his campaign fundraiser for stacks of cash hidden in her bra, according to evidence at trial.
“I’m ready to go so the city can move on,” Kilpatrick told the judge. “The people here are suffering, they’re hurting. A great deal of that hurt I accept responsibility for.”
In March, Kilpatrick, 43, was convicted of racketeering conspiracy, fraud, extortion and tax crimes. The government called it the “Kilpatrick enterprise,” a yearslong scheme to shake down contractors and reward allies. He was doomed by his own text messages, which revealed efforts to fix deals for a pal, Bobby Ferguson, an excavator who got millions of dollars in city work through the water department.
Contractors said they were forced to take on Ferguson as a partner or risk losing lucrative deals. The government alleged that he in turn shared cash with Kilpatrick.
Agents who pored over bank accounts and credit cards said Kilpatrick spent $840,000 beyond his salary during his time as mayor. Defense attorneys tried to portray the money as generous gifts from political supporters who opened their wallets for birthdays or holidays.
The government said Kilpatrick also tapped a nonprofit fund, which was created to help distressed Detroit residents, to pay for yoga, camps for his kids, golf clubs and travel.
“A man with the charisma and ability of Mr. Kilpatrick chose to use his talents on personal aggrandizement and enrichment when he had the potential to do so much for the city,” Judge Nancy Edmunds said before imposing the sentence.
Read/learn MORE at ABC News.
- 50 Cent’s Bankruptcy Statement Includes 7 Cars Valued at Half Mil
- Drake Uses PowerPoint Presentation to Roast Meek Mill in Concert
- Jersey Police Looking for Suspect in Shooting at Big Sean, J. Cole Concert
- WATCH: 'Legend of the Mantamji' Live Action Short
- Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara Put Up with Rude, Race Baiting Questions (WATCH)
- Darren Wilson Opens Up A Year After His Killing of Mike Brown
- Secret Service Expert 'Outs' Hillary Clinton's Marriage as 'Fake'
- D.L. Hughley: If Trump Says 'N*gger’ He'll be Elected Tomorrow (WATCH)
- Happy Birthday Mr. President! Today is Barack Obama's 54th B-day
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Cousin Admits Being Barred From Burial
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here