*This week, as we’ve reported, both 19-year-old Trayon Christian and 21-year-old Kayla Philipps revealed they were wrongly accosted by the NYPD in two separate incidents after buying high-end items at Barneys.
Christian says he was even handcuffed and thrown in a jail cell, while officers asked how he could afford such an expensive accessory.
Outraged folks across the country are flocking to a petition on Change.org started by Derick Bowers, a Brooklyn-based father and entrepreneur, calling on Jay Z — who recently announced a partnership with Barneys on a clothing line called “A New York Holiday”— to sever all ties with Barneys following accusations of racial profiling that have have sparked a national uproar against the store.
Says Derick, who’s a huge Jay Z fan:
“We can no longer tolerate blatant prejudice and discrimination. It is clear that the minority buying power is devalued by some. We must withdraw support to those who will not support us. I’ve been a lifelong Jay Z fan. Jay Z is currently in partnership with Barneys New York for the release of his holiday collection — called “A New York Holiday” (or BNY SCC). Barneys lacks any connection with the black and hip-hop community. And without his vast wealth and brand power, they would see him the same as they see Trayon Christian. Jay Z should be appalled by Barneys actions, and withdraw all support from them. If he does this, he will send a clear message to all corporations that are likeminded, that this behavior cannot be tolerated any longer.”
Check out Derick’s petition at change.org. here: https://www.change.org/petitions/shawn-carter-aka-jay-z-end-all-partnerships-with-barneys-new-york.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- F. Gary Gray in Talks to Direct ‘Fast and Furious 8’
- Wendy Williams Wants Terrence Howard Off 'Empire'; He Responds
- EUR On the Scene: The 18th Annual First Ladies High Tea (WATCH)
- Iyanla Vanzant Gets Real as Woman Confronts Gay Pastor Husband
- Memo to Publisher McGraw-Hill: 'Slaves' Were Not 'Workers' (Watch)
- Tupac Planned to Kill ‘Thug Life’ Via 'Thug Life is Dead' Letter
- Steven Ivory: Lunch, with a Side of Humility
- Janet Jackson Reschedules Vegas Shows Supposedly to Rest Voice
- Jeremiah Wright is Still Hatin' on President Obama
- The Socialist's Journal: Quarterly Quick Hits Part 3
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here