*This week, as we’ve reported, both 19-year-old Trayon Christian and 21-year-old Kayla Philipps revealed they were wrongly accosted by the NYPD in two separate incidents after buying high-end items at Barneys.
Christian says he was even handcuffed and thrown in a jail cell, while officers asked how he could afford such an expensive accessory.
Outraged folks across the country are flocking to a petition on Change.org started by Derick Bowers, a Brooklyn-based father and entrepreneur, calling on Jay Z — who recently announced a partnership with Barneys on a clothing line called “A New York Holiday”— to sever all ties with Barneys following accusations of racial profiling that have have sparked a national uproar against the store.
Says Derick, who’s a huge Jay Z fan:
“We can no longer tolerate blatant prejudice and discrimination. It is clear that the minority buying power is devalued by some. We must withdraw support to those who will not support us. I’ve been a lifelong Jay Z fan. Jay Z is currently in partnership with Barneys New York for the release of his holiday collection — called “A New York Holiday” (or BNY SCC). Barneys lacks any connection with the black and hip-hop community. And without his vast wealth and brand power, they would see him the same as they see Trayon Christian. Jay Z should be appalled by Barneys actions, and withdraw all support from them. If he does this, he will send a clear message to all corporations that are likeminded, that this behavior cannot be tolerated any longer.”
Check out Derick’s petition at change.org. here: https://www.change.org/petitions/shawn-carter-aka-jay-z-end-all-partnerships-with-barneys-new-york.
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here