*This week, as we’ve reported, both 19-year-old Trayon Christian and 21-year-old Kayla Philipps revealed they were wrongly accosted by the NYPD in two separate incidents after buying high-end items at Barneys.
Christian says he was even handcuffed and thrown in a jail cell, while officers asked how he could afford such an expensive accessory.
Outraged folks across the country are flocking to a petition on Change.org started by Derick Bowers, a Brooklyn-based father and entrepreneur, calling on Jay Z — who recently announced a partnership with Barneys on a clothing line called “A New York Holiday”— to sever all ties with Barneys following accusations of racial profiling that have have sparked a national uproar against the store.
Says Derick, who’s a huge Jay Z fan:
“We can no longer tolerate blatant prejudice and discrimination. It is clear that the minority buying power is devalued by some. We must withdraw support to those who will not support us. I’ve been a lifelong Jay Z fan. Jay Z is currently in partnership with Barneys New York for the release of his holiday collection — called “A New York Holiday” (or BNY SCC). Barneys lacks any connection with the black and hip-hop community. And without his vast wealth and brand power, they would see him the same as they see Trayon Christian. Jay Z should be appalled by Barneys actions, and withdraw all support from them. If he does this, he will send a clear message to all corporations that are likeminded, that this behavior cannot be tolerated any longer.”
Check out Derick’s petition at change.org. here: https://www.change.org/petitions/shawn-carter-aka-jay-z-end-all-partnerships-with-barneys-new-york.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (02-09-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here