*ATLANTA – Clark Atlanta University (CAU) will mark National Domestic Violence Awareness Month from Oct. 13-18 with “The Call to True Beauty 2013,” the university’s annual advocacy, education and prevention campaign against dating and domestic violence. The weeklong series is sponsored by Verizon Wireless and Avon Products Inc., both nationally recognized corporate leaders in the crusade to end dating and domestic violence.
This year’s campaign theme is “Respect.” The week will begin with a Sunday worship service. Other campaign events will include a memorial balloon lift, a panel discussion hosted by the Joseph E. Lowery Institute for Justice and Human Rights at Clark Atlanta University, a “Powder Room/Locker Room” workshop, and “The Dating Game,” offering insight on healthy relationships and dating safety, with noted psychologist and media personality Alduan Tartt, Ph.D. All activities are on the CAU campus, 223 James P. Brawley Drive, S.W. The detailed campaign schedule is attached.
CAU President Carlton E. Brown said, “This initiative will continue to be a priority at Clark Atlanta. National data indicate that women between the ages of 16 and 24 in dating relationships experience the highest rate of dating violence and sexual assault. Although we are not overwhelmed by this issue on our campus, one incident is too many. This year’s campaign theme, “Respect,” also gives us the opportunity to include young men in the conversation, not as perpetrators, but as agents in fostering mutual understanding and positive, healthy relationships.
“Our partnerships in this initiative,” Brown added, “will have an impact well beyond the campus walls, and we are grateful for their support.” This year’s campaign partners include: Atlanta City Council, Fulton County Family Care Network, Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Partnership Against Domestic Violence, the Joseph E. Lowery Institute for Justice and Human Rights at Clark Atlanta University, Let Us Make Man and CAU’s award-winning radio station, The Jazz of the City WCLK-91.9FM.
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here