*Madame Tussauds in London pulled out all the stops to reveal its touring wax figure of Whitney Houston.
The famous visitor attraction enlisted the help of a full gospel choir to unveil the satue earlier today (Oct. 21), which was created in the singer’s honor following her death in February 2012.
The likeness was originally unveiled at Madame Tussauds’ New York museum earlier this year by members of Whitney’s family – including her mother Cissy Houston – but it is now being exhibited outside of the US for the first time.
The figure – one of four capturing Nippy at various stages of her career – is inspired by her appearance in the promotional art for her 2009 comeback album “I Look to You.” It sees her adorned in a floor-length gown with her arms outstretched.
Madame Tussauds’ Nicole Fenner said: “We are very excited to be welcoming Whitney Houston on to our London music stage for the next eight weeks. “This is a very special figure as it was created after Whitney’s very sad and untimely death with the close co-operation of her family, who were delighted by the results.”
The wax figure’s debut was backed by a rousing performance from the London Gospel Factory Choir, and the group’s artistic director Colin Vassell was honored to be part of the special moment.
”Whitney Houston is one of the most talented singers of her – or any – generation and we were delighted to welcome her wax figure to London,” he said. ”She is a personal hero of mine so to get to stand alongside her and sing was a slightly surreal but awesome experience.
”We chose a song she performed in the film ‘The Preacher’s Wife’ because it is so uplifting and great fun to perform. We hope we did her justice.”
Watch the performance below.
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here