*A grand jury in Lincoln County, S.D. has returned an indictment of murder in the second degree for Joseph Patterson, the man believed to have beaten to death the two-year-old son of NFL star Adrian Peterson.
Patterson allegedly assaulted and murdered Tyrese Robert Ruffin, the toddler son of the Minnesota Vikings tailback. Patterson was originally charged with two felonies for assault, but State’s Attorney Tom Wollman elevated the charge when Ruffin died a day and a half after he was put on life support.
Second-degree murder is a Class B felony in South Dakota and carries A mandatory life sentence if Patterson is convicted.
Additional counts of first-degree manslaughter, aggravated battery of an infant and abuse or cruelty to a minor have also been filed.
Patterson has a history of domestic and child abuse, replete with restraining orders issued against him in the last nine years. He was the only one in the room with the toddler when Ruffin was beaten, according to police.
Peterson had never met his son until he visited the hospital in Sioux Falls, S.D. while the boy was on life support. Peterson first learned the child was his two months earlier. He had begun supporting the mother financially.
Peterson attended the boy’s funeral last Thursday after being excused from practice.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jesse Williams Reminds BET Audience Why He’s #ActivistBae (Watch the Full Speech)
- Watch: This Young Brother Met an 'Angel' at Krogers in Memphis
- Jill Scott Marries Longtime Boyfriend Mike Dobson; He Surprises Her with Big Daddy Kane at Reception (Watch)
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here