According to KeKe Palmer, anyone who thinks colorism in the industry is a thing of the past is sadly mistaken.
Palmer recently made an appearance at the Hollywood Confidential Panel in Los Angeles where she revealed that she once wanted to have lighter skin so that she could be beautiful.
“When I was like 5 years old I used to pray to have light skin because I would always hear how pretty that little light skin girl was, or I would hear I was pretty ‘to be dark skinned.’ It wasn’t until I was 13 that I really learned to appreciate my skin color and know that I was beautiful,” she said.
The singer-actress faced skin bleaching rumors after photos appeared online showing her as much lighter, rumors that she quickly denied. “We need to stop separating ourselves by how dark or how light we are. I have been the same complexion all my life and if you think otherwise don’t follow me.”
On the panel was also actress Kimberly Elise; who added that African-Americans need to participate in the color spectrum in both Hollywood and the community.
Gabrielle Union joined Viola Davis, Alfre Woodard, Phylicia Rashad and Oprah to discuss colorism in Hollywood, but the conversation quickly turned within to the pressures black women put on themselves.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- WATCH President Obama Crack on Trump, Bernie and More at WHCD
- Ray and Janay Rice Announce they Are Expecting Baby Number 2
- Fox Gives First Look at Fierce Films for 2016
- Derrick Rose Rape Accuser Pleads Not to Have Identity Revealed
- A Poisonous Spider Down Under Bites a Man...Down Under!
- A Broke Pilar Sanders Pleads with Court to Continue Her Case
- VIDEO: Deya Gets Direct With Denise Boutte on the Fantastic Voyage '16
- Drake Says New Album 'Views' Sold 630,000 Copies in One Night!
- Lakers Announce Luke Walton as New Head Coach
- John Wayne's Ultra-Racist Views of African Americans Ran Deep
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here