*Laverne Cox is blazing a trail in Hollywood as the first successful African American transgender actress to star as a transgender character on a regular series.
She plays inmate Sophia Burset, the prison hairdresser on the Netflix original series “Orange is the New Black.” Her character, locked up for credit card fraud, has to deal with being the only transgender woman in the prison and all the transphobic hate that it brings — from both inmates and staff.
In episode 2 of the first season, we saw flashbacks of her pre-transition life as a firefighter named Marcus, with a wife and son. Cox revealed in previous interviews that it was actually her twin brother M. Lamar who played Sophia pre-transition.
Below, Cox admits that her brother was called in after show creator, Jenji Kohan, and the episode’s director, Jodie Foster, thought she wasn’t butch enough to pull off the scenes.
- THE (08-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Usain Bolt Mowed Down by Segway (WATCH)
- Debbie Allen Dance Academy Offers scholarship to an ‘Uplifting Minds II’ Talent on Saturday October 24
- Let's Get Direct! Fail to Win!
- Kevin Craig West’s Starring Role in 'Twilight The StoryTellers -The Groundskeeper' Reaches 3 Million + Facebook Views
- Street Leading to Sandra Bland's Alma Mater Renamed in Her Honor
- Burger King Proposes to McDonalds ... in the Name of Peace
- Had Your Fill Yet?
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts - Black Stars of the Great White Way (Part I)
- Russell Wilson Says God Has Anointed Him and Ciara
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here