*Laverne Cox is blazing a trail in Hollywood as the first successful African American transgender actress to star as a transgender character on a regular series.
She plays inmate Sophia Burset, the prison hairdresser on the Netflix original series “Orange is the New Black.” Her character, locked up for credit card fraud, has to deal with being the only transgender woman in the prison and all the transphobic hate that it brings — from both inmates and staff.
In episode 2 of the first season, we saw flashbacks of her pre-transition life as a firefighter named Marcus, with a wife and son. Cox revealed in previous interviews that it was actually her twin brother M. Lamar who played Sophia pre-transition.
Below, Cox admits that her brother was called in after show creator, Jenji Kohan, and the episode’s director, Jodie Foster, thought she wasn’t butch enough to pull off the scenes.
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Martin Luther King III and Andrew Young to Attend Voting Right Press Conference
- THE (07-29-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- KDAY 93.5 FM Hosts ‘Uplifting Minds II’ National Talent Showcase Competition Saturday, October 24 at the Celebrity Centre in Hollywood
- Reggie Jackson Apologizes for Profane Outburst Against Fans
- 'Empire' Costars Trai Byers and Grace Gealey Set to be Married
- More Sandra Bland Video Released to Prove She Arrived Alive At Jail
- Netflix Announces Mike Epps Special, 'Chelsea Handler Does Racism’, More at TCA Press Tour
- Paul Mooney Says Bill Cosby Got His 'N****r Wake-up Call'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here