*Laverne Cox is blazing a trail in Hollywood as the first successful African American transgender actress to star as a transgender character on a regular series.
She plays inmate Sophia Burset, the prison hairdresser on the Netflix original series “Orange is the New Black.” Her character, locked up for credit card fraud, has to deal with being the only transgender woman in the prison and all the transphobic hate that it brings — from both inmates and staff.
In episode 2 of the first season, we saw flashbacks of her pre-transition life as a firefighter named Marcus, with a wife and son. Cox revealed in previous interviews that it was actually her twin brother M. Lamar who played Sophia pre-transition.
Below, Cox admits that her brother was called in after show creator, Jenji Kohan, and the episode’s director, Jodie Foster, thought she wasn’t butch enough to pull off the scenes.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Google Announces $250,000 in Grants for Flint, MI Water Crisis
- THE (05-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce from Lamar Odom ... Again!
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here