*Laverne Cox is blazing a trail in Hollywood as the first successful African American transgender actress to star as a transgender character on a regular series.
She plays inmate Sophia Burset, the prison hairdresser on the Netflix original series “Orange is the New Black.” Her character, locked up for credit card fraud, has to deal with being the only transgender woman in the prison and all the transphobic hate that it brings — from both inmates and staff.
In episode 2 of the first season, we saw flashbacks of her pre-transition life as a firefighter named Marcus, with a wife and son. Cox revealed in previous interviews that it was actually her twin brother M. Lamar who played Sophia pre-transition.
Below, Cox admits that her brother was called in after show creator, Jenji Kohan, and the episode’s director, Jodie Foster, thought she wasn’t butch enough to pull off the scenes.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- John Wayne's Ultra-Racist Views of African Americans Ran Deep
- Parking Lot Crowded, Can't Locate Your Car? Meet 'Zus'
- Draya Michele's Post-Baby Body - Richard Sherman Pranks Himself
- You Can Purchase 'Boycott Beyoncé' Shirts at 'Formation' Tour
- R.Kelly Accused of Screwing Promoter Out of $500k
- W. Kamau Bell Screens 'United Shades of America' in Atlanta
- Flavor Flav Offered to Give O.J. Simpson Back His Bronze Statue
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Javier Colon performs May 4, 2016 at Rams Head on Stage
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here