Word around the water cooler is that during Obama’s 2008 campaign run, a scratching of backs was supposed to occur, but never happened as intended.
Once elected, Obama reportedly promised Winfrey “special” access to the White House in exchange for her participation and national celebrity influence. The supposed deal also arranged for Oprah to be provided the inside scoop regarding government affairs that she could use as material for her then fledgling cable network, OWN.
After the election, several ill-fated attempts to contact the White House were made by high-ranking representatives of Oprah’s inner-circle. Letters were sent, calls were made, but responses weren’t supplied (so much for reciprocity).
Oprah’s camp says she held up her end of the bargain, assisting in Obama’s landslide victory over geriatric Republican nominee John McCain. However, the President and first lady haven’t delivered on their promise of exclusive accessibility to their humble abode, prompting Winfrey to believe that she was played for a fool (not cool Obama).
The slight, which sources close to Winfrey believe was deliberate, has reportedly caused a rift between she and the first family. As the White House was gearing up to sell ObamaCare to the American people last summer, Valerie Jarrett, the president’s point woman on a host of issues, phoned Oprah.
She invited the Queen of All Media to join other celebrities including Amy Poehler, Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys, to meet with President Obama and discuss how they could generate publicity for his health-care law.
“All of Oprah’s top people thought she would go, because when the president invites you to the White House, most people automatically say yes,” said one of Oprah’s closest advisers. “But Oprah said she didn’t have the time or inclination to go. It wasn’t like she had to think it over. It was an immediate, flat-out, unequivocal no.”
Instead, Oprah sent a low-level rep from one of her talent agencies, which was regarded as a insult. Obama had been counting on Oprah’s immense persuasive powers to help enroll millions in ObamaCare. But so far, Oprah has yet to lift a finger to help.
The report says Oprah’s friends publicly dismiss the idea that she had a falling out with Obama. They note that she phoned Michelle Obama right after the 2012 election to congratulate her. They say Michelle invited her to have dinner with the first family. But the dinner never took place, and Oprah continues to be frozen out.
“Oprah was hoping there would be a genuine change in the atmospherics,” one of her friends told Edward Klein of Model Trigger. “But there hasn’t been. Clearly, she is being rebuffed at the level of Michelle and Valerie. And, just as obviously, President Obama hasn’t interfered on Oprah’s behalf.”
Hmm. All we can say is interesting. What say ye?
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tavis Smiley: Prince ‘Locked Himself in his Bedroom for Days' After Michael Jackson Died (Watch)
- Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles Cover Teen Vogue, Talk Body Acceptance (Video)
- Obama’s Favorites: Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae Set for July 4 Event at White House
- Cops Help Toss Chris Brown From Ibiza Rental Trashed With Urine and Vomit
- Alice Walker Writes Poem Inspired by Jesse Williams’ BET Awards Speech
- WATCH: Celebs Talk Summer Anthems at the 2016 BET Awards
- Opinion: Kanye West Not Worth a Billion dollars from Adidas Deal (WATCH)
- Future Talks Album Flop, Ciara's Lawsuit & Russell Wilson
- Woman’s Viral National Anthem Leads to National TV Singing Debut on ‘GMA’ (Watch)
- Mike Tirico Says Goodbye to ESPN after 25 Years (Watch Full Remarks)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here