*It was supposed to be a cutesy way to get viewers to watch her newscast, but linking the murderous series finale of “Breaking Bad” to a real shooting spree that left one person dead and five injured was something even Heisenberg might’ve found tasteless.
Philadelphia news anchor Joyce Evans tweeted, “Thought ‘Breaking Bad’ was hot last Sunday’ See who’s breakin’ bad in SW Philly leavin’ 6 people SHOT – Tonite at Ten!”
The Fox29 anchor was referring to the fatal shooting of a 23-year-old man outside Los Papi Deli in Southwest Philadelphia at 7 p.m. on Sunday in which two gunmen fired as many as 50 shots on a group of men, aged 18 to 23. Five others were wounded, suffering gunshot wounds to their extremities – and were rushed to hospital. One is in critical condition and the others are stable.
Immediately after posting the tweet, other Twitter users branded her an “attention w****” and criticized her for the poor choice of words.
“Is that for real?” one asked. “We make jokes in light of a serious tragedy?”
“Tackiest local news tease ever,” one said, while another added: “Can’t wait for the on-air apology!”
Evans’ name was soon trending in Philadelphia and eventually across the country, according to Trendsmap Philly.
But as criticisms flooded in, Evans refused to back down.
“Last tweet NOT AT ALL A JOKE,” she wrote. “Very real life drama was the point as oppose to one that ends on tv. That was my point.”
Another Twitter user responded: “I don’t think people missed your point as much as they didn’t agree to how you presented it.”
Some Twitter followers even took it a step further by creating ‘#JoyceEvansTweets’, presenting fake tweets in the same tone.
“Fan of Home Alone? Check out this family that disappeared and left their two year old to die! #JoyceEvansTweets,’ one, Mike Schaeff, wrote.
“Like The Newsroom? Find out who won’t be in one for a while. #JoyceEvansTweets,’ another, Mike Cabrey, added.
Joyce Evans, who is originally from Washington D.C., has worked at Fox29 since 1996 and anchors the News at Ten and co-anchors the News at Six every weekend.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Gucci Mane Released from Prison Four Months Early
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Moves On…With a Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here