*It was supposed to be a cutesy way to get viewers to watch her newscast, but linking the murderous series finale of “Breaking Bad” to a real shooting spree that left one person dead and five injured was something even Heisenberg might’ve found tasteless.
Philadelphia news anchor Joyce Evans tweeted, “Thought ‘Breaking Bad’ was hot last Sunday’ See who’s breakin’ bad in SW Philly leavin’ 6 people SHOT – Tonite at Ten!”
The Fox29 anchor was referring to the fatal shooting of a 23-year-old man outside Los Papi Deli in Southwest Philadelphia at 7 p.m. on Sunday in which two gunmen fired as many as 50 shots on a group of men, aged 18 to 23. Five others were wounded, suffering gunshot wounds to their extremities – and were rushed to hospital. One is in critical condition and the others are stable.
Immediately after posting the tweet, other Twitter users branded her an “attention w****” and criticized her for the poor choice of words.
“Is that for real?” one asked. “We make jokes in light of a serious tragedy?”
“Tackiest local news tease ever,” one said, while another added: “Can’t wait for the on-air apology!”
Evans’ name was soon trending in Philadelphia and eventually across the country, according to Trendsmap Philly.
But as criticisms flooded in, Evans refused to back down.
“Last tweet NOT AT ALL A JOKE,” she wrote. “Very real life drama was the point as oppose to one that ends on tv. That was my point.”
Another Twitter user responded: “I don’t think people missed your point as much as they didn’t agree to how you presented it.”
Some Twitter followers even took it a step further by creating ‘#JoyceEvansTweets’, presenting fake tweets in the same tone.
“Fan of Home Alone? Check out this family that disappeared and left their two year old to die! #JoyceEvansTweets,’ one, Mike Schaeff, wrote.
“Like The Newsroom? Find out who won’t be in one for a while. #JoyceEvansTweets,’ another, Mike Cabrey, added.
Joyce Evans, who is originally from Washington D.C., has worked at Fox29 since 1996 and anchors the News at Ten and co-anchors the News at Six every weekend.
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here