*Throughout his tenure in office, President Obama has pretty much seen and heard it all.
In recent years, he’s become a magnet for political discord among right-winged conservatives and Democrats alike, and lately his effort to force-feed Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) to the American public–despite widespread opposition–has created a firestorm of media controversy. In essence, Obama has become history’s favorite political pinata (and all the kiddies are taking a whack at him). That includes celebrity atheist Richard Dawkins, reports the Huffington Post.
During a conversation with politically incorrect TV host and dyed-in-the-wool atheist Bill Maher, Dawkins accused two American presidents of sharing his same religious perspective.
“Like many people, I’m sure that [President Barack] Obama is an atheist,” Dawkins told Maher on Friday. “I’m sure Kennedy was an atheist. But I doubt Pope Frank is, no. He’s obviously a nice man, therefore a dangerous man. We don’t want nice men in the Vatican.”
Dawkins’ strategically-timed comments come amid a new book revealing how Obama’s Christian faith has aided him in pivotal moments during his presidency. White House spiritual advisor Joshua DuBois’ book, “The President’s Devotional: The Daily Readings That Inspired President Obama,” suggests that Obama intentionally leans on prayer as a grounding mechanism.
“I’ve certainly seen the president’s faith grow in his time in office,” DuBois told the AP last week. “When you cultivate your faith, it grows.”
As for atheism in politics, it is a rare sight. Back in September, HuffPost Politics looked at how the current 113th Congress has zero admitted atheists. A few months after he retired, former Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) admitted his nonbeliever status. Former Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) had been the only avowed atheist, but he left office in 2012.
Watch Dawkins make his claim:
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here