*The aftermath stemming from a customer leaving a racial slur instead of a tip is now a blessing according to the Tennessee waitress Toni Jenkins.
Jenkins was working at Red Lobster to save money to go to nursing school but never thought her life would change so drastically and would one day receive national attention.
After she posted the receipt bearing a racial slur that was written on the tip line, she didn’t have a clue what was to come next.
“It’s been a roller coaster for me and my family,” Jenkins said.
She went public with the incident to press the issue but never imagined her story would take off the way it did,
“I’m thankful for the people around me who told me to take a stand and attempt to make a difference,” she said.
After the customer had his attorney release a statement on his behalf denying ever writing the slur, many speculated whether she fabricated the entire story,
In a written message to WSMV/Channel 4 News, the customer said, “I do not approve of the use of that type of talk, not now or ever.”
A man in California helped the story take off by posting its details on the website YouCaring.com and then people donated to the fund called “Tips for Toni.” Thanks to a large amount of tips, Jenkins received a check for more than $10,000.
“The first thing that came to me was, ‘God just bought my car.’ So, and that’s exactly what I did with it. I paid some loans back at school. I got me a great, reliable car. And I’m overjoyed and blessed,” she said.
Posting the receipt with the customers name on it was a violation of company policy and as a result, Jenkins was suspended from her job at Red Lobster for several days. A few days off from work with no pay was well worth it to Jenkins because of the message the story gives now.
“Words cannot go forth on how thankful, how genuine and how blessed I feel that those people had a heart to give to me when they didn’t even know me,” Jenkins said.
The customer hired an attorney who now plans to bring in a handwriting expert to prove his client didn’t write the slur.
Calls to the attorney for an update Thursday have not been returned.
After being able to buy a new car, Jenkins does plan to continue working at Red Lobster during “Crab fest” so she can afford gas money.
- Rachel Dolezal is Pregnant
- THE (09-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Nicki Minaj Wax Figure Getting Makeover After Fans Pressure Museum
- 'Selfish' Kardashians Being Sued Over Disruptive Fireworks Show
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here