*Civil rights spokesman Rev. Al Sharpton held a private meeting, after twisting some arms, with the CEO of Barneys Tuesday to discuss allegations of racial profiling made by two African American shoppers who lawfully purchased items from the high-end retailer but were detained by authorities on suspicion of credit card fraud, reports the AP via ABC News.
The New York state attorney general’s office demanded its own meeting with Barneys and also Macy’s.
“We had a very candid and open meeting today to begin a dialogue,” Sharpton said after the private meeting with Barneys CEO Mark Lee at the office of his National Action Network office in Harlem.
Lee explained Barneys’ own initial investigation showed no employees were at fault in the two incidents, but he said the retailer does not tolerate discrimination and wants “to be part of the solution” to racial profiling.
Macy’s flagship Manhattan store also has been accused of discriminatory practices from Rob Brown, a black actor, who claims that he was stopped because of his race while shopping. Macy’s didn’t comment on the litigation but said in a statement it was investigating.
Lee also addressed Barneys’ pending relationship with rap mogul Jay-Z, who has faced ample public-pressure to sever ties with the retailer since the profiling allegations emerged.
“We deeply regret that these recent events have distracted from the great work of the Shawn Carter Foundation, and we offer our sincere apologies to Mr. Carter,” Lee said, using the entertainer’s real name.
Read/learn more at ABC News.
Meanwhile, as briefly mentioned above, actor Rob Brown (HBO’s “Treme”) says he was the victim of racial profiling at Macy’s Dept. Store. He explained what happened Tuesday night on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360”:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Eddie Murphy and Girlfriend Paige Butcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Boots Ex’s Daddy from his Home
- Michael Strahan Tells 'Extra' He's Not Listening to Rumors About Him
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- A Legendary Night in Los Angeles with the Ojays' Eddie Levert
- Prince’s Half-Brother Alfred Says Sibling Trying to Get Him Declared Mentally Incompetent
- Family of Autistic Teen Mocked by 50 Cent Wants $1 Million (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here