Anywhoo, when many of her friends were dreaming of becoming cowboy’s or princesses, Nadia Crow knew from the age of 6 that was wanted to be a TV news anchorwoman.
“I’ve always wanted to do this,” said Crow, who’s living out her dreams at KTVX-Channel 4. “The only thing I’ve ever really wanted to be is a TV news anchor and reporter.”
So while other kids enjoyed cartoons, Crow was tuned in to “20/20″ and “Oprah.”
“When we lived in Norfolk [Va.], there were black females in TV news who were good role models,” she said. “And then when we moved to Chicago, you only had a few, even though Chicago is such a big city and it’s so diverse.”
Crow is now the first African-American in Utah to work as a news anchor for a Salt Lake television station. Part of the reason she decided to take the job in Utah was to break that boundary.
It’s rather remarkable that it took until the year 2013 for that to happen. And it’s one of the reasons Crow took the job in Utah despite offers from other stations. And despite the fact that KTVX is in the early stages of a major rebuilding process after a series of ownership changes, layoffs and staff turnovers.
“I knew it would be a challenge coming here with the struggles they’ve had, but chaos creates opportunity,” she said. “So I looked at it more as a challenge. And knowing that I would be the first African-American anchor was also a challenge that I wanted to take on.”
“You just don’t think of black people being in Utah,” Crow said. “Whether that’s true or not, that was my image and my perception of the state.
“I knew that my agent sent my résumé tape and all my materials here, but I just never thought it would come to anything. So when [KTVX news director] George [Severson] called me, I was, like, ‘I’m sorry, where are you from?’ ” she said, with a laugh.
Watch as KTVX introduces Nadia Crow to it’s audience:
- D.L. Hughley: If Trump Says 'N*gger’ He'll be Elected Tomorrow (WATCH)
- Happy Birthday Mr. President! Today is Barack Obama's 54th B-day
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Cousin Admits Being Barred From Burial
- Donald Trump: Obama Blew it for Future Black President Hopefuls
- The Socialist's Journal: The Value of Lives (Cecil the Lion)
- Min. Paul Scott/Straight Outta Con Man: Exposin’ the Truth About NWA
- 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Talks' Straight Outta Compton' (Watch)
- Karen Clark Sheard Drops Highly Anticipated New Release 'Destined to Win'
- THE (08-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Raynette Turner's Death Leads to Probe by State Appointed Special Prosecutor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here