Anywhoo, when many of her friends were dreaming of becoming cowboy’s or princesses, Nadia Crow knew from the age of 6 that was wanted to be a TV news anchorwoman.
“I’ve always wanted to do this,” said Crow, who’s living out her dreams at KTVX-Channel 4. “The only thing I’ve ever really wanted to be is a TV news anchor and reporter.”
So while other kids enjoyed cartoons, Crow was tuned in to “20/20” and “Oprah.”
“When we lived in Norfolk [Va.], there were black females in TV news who were good role models,” she said. “And then when we moved to Chicago, you only had a few, even though Chicago is such a big city and it’s so diverse.”
Crow is now the first African-American in Utah to work as a news anchor for a Salt Lake television station. Part of the reason she decided to take the job in Utah was to break that boundary.
It’s rather remarkable that it took until the year 2013 for that to happen. And it’s one of the reasons Crow took the job in Utah despite offers from other stations. And despite the fact that KTVX is in the early stages of a major rebuilding process after a series of ownership changes, layoffs and staff turnovers.
“I knew it would be a challenge coming here with the struggles they’ve had, but chaos creates opportunity,” she said. “So I looked at it more as a challenge. And knowing that I would be the first African-American anchor was also a challenge that I wanted to take on.”
“You just don’t think of black people being in Utah,” Crow said. “Whether that’s true or not, that was my image and my perception of the state.
“I knew that my agent sent my résumé tape and all my materials here, but I just never thought it would come to anything. So when [KTVX news director] George [Severson] called me, I was, like, ‘I’m sorry, where are you from?’ ” she said, with a laugh.
Watch as KTVX introduces Nadia Crow to it’s audience:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here