*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
- 'Slave Trade' Video Game Altered After Social Media Backlash
- Michel'le Back with New Single: 'It's Nothing' (LISTEN)
- ‘Welcome to Death Row’ Shopped as a Sequel to ‘Straight Outta Compton’
- EUR Chats with 'The Perfect Guy' Cast: Lathan, Ealy & Chestnut (WATCH)
- ‘Being Mary Jane’ Season 3 to Feature Loretta Devine and Jill Scott (WATCH)
- Teen About to Start College, Accidentally Kills Himself Taking Selfie (Watch)
- Serena Highlighted with Inspirational Commercial and Mural (WATCH)
- Trump Casino Worker: Blacks Hidden When the Donald Visited
- Fox News' Megyn Kelly Goes in on #BlackLivesMatter Supporter (WATCH)
- People of Note: Jazz at Lincoln Center Opens their 28th Season in the Bronx
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here