*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Miramax Acquires Whitney Doc, Johnnie Cochran Film Finds Director
- Fewer Sex Partners Leads To Divorce, Nick Young & Iggy Azalea 'Split' | BHL's This Week (WATCH)
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here