*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
- 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Talks' Straight Outta Compton' (Watch)
- Karen Clark Sheard Drops Highly Anticipated New Release 'Destined to Win'
- THE (08-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Raynette Turner's Death Leads to Probe by State Appointed Special Prosecutor
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here