*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-25-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- GS Warriors Make NBA History with 16-0 Season Start (WATCH)
- Marcus D. Spencer (Big Spence) Finds Role in 'Fair Chase'
- 'Barbershop 3' Trailer Mixes Beauty, Comedy and Gang Violence [WATCH]
- Video of Chicago Police Officer Shooting Laquan McDonald Released (WATCH)
- (Video) WATCH: New 'Zootopia' Trailer
- Patti LaBelle Wants to Work with Fetty Wap, Talks Pie Success [WATCH]
- ‘Empire’: Alicia Keys Storyline to Explore Biracial Issues (Watch)
- Erased Burger King Footage in Laquan McDonald Shooting Tested for ‘Tampering’
- Videos Show Armed White Men Threatening #BlackLivesMatter Minneapolis Activists (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here