*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Too Bad Girlfriends Don't Know Everything
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here