*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- T-Boz to Exec. Produce Teen Musical Project 'What About Your Friends?'
- Maino’s Girlfriend to Sue NYPD Over T.I. Concert Shooting
- Madonna Claps Back at BET - Tamar Dropped From Record Label?
- Parents of Alabama Teen Electrocuted in Lake Warns Others to 'Be Careful' (Video)
- Snoop Dogg Right on 'Roots' Remake for the Wrong Reasons (Video)
- ‘Roots’ Remake Draws 5.3M Viewers Against Record-Setting NBA Playoff Game
- What Mariah Carey Wore to ‘Live with Kelly’s’ Daytime Pajama Party (Watch)
- Pics Surface of Alleged Khloe Kardashian/Odell Beckham Jr. Hookup at Drake's Party
- Why Alicia Keys is Not Wearing Makeup These Days
- Chuck D, B-Real, Tom Morello Form New Band 'Prophets of Rage'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here