*VH1 has set February 2014 for the premiere of its latest “rock doc,” although it’s rap and not rock music that’s at the center of this 4-part documentary.
“The Tanning of America: One Nation Under Hip Hop,” based on Steve Stoute’s bestseller The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created A Culture That Rewrote The Rules Of The New Economy, takes a trip down memory lane to examine how hip-hop culture influenced music, film, television, fashion, business, race relations and the politics that opened the door for Obama’s America, reports Deadline.com.
“Tanning” in this case is a phrase coined by Stoute for the deep-rooted influence traditionally African-American hip-hop has had on pop culture from “The Jeffersons” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” to Eminem’s “8 Mile.”
Billy Corben (Cocaine Cowboys, 30 for 30‘s Broke and The U) directed the doc with Alfred Spellman producing, nabbing interviews with Diddy, Dr Dre, Mariah Carey, Will.i.am, Russell Simmons, Pharrell, Nas, Reverend Run, Rick Rubin, Fab 5 Freddy, Jimmy Iovine, Al Sharpton, Cory Booker, Brett Ratner, Brian Grazer, Tommy Hilfiger, Ron Howard, Stoute and more.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Taraji P. Posts IG Response to Rumors of Beef with Terrence Howard (WATCH)
- EURweb on the Scene: 3rd Annual Ocktober Film Festival
- Derek Fisher Addresses Alleged Fight With Matt Barnes
- Man's 20-Year-Old Girlfriend Kicked His Baby to Death (Video)
- Kanye Claims He's Discriminated Against Because He's Not Gay
- The Game Stops by SKEE TV; Discusses #Documentary2 & Disses Young Thug (WATCH)
- Ben Carson Remembers Being Held at Gunpoint While in Popeye’s
- It’s ‘Very Difficult’ for Black Staffers at Fox News - Former NABJ President
- Tracy 'T-Mac' McGrady Launches Mobile HBCU Fundraising Campaign
- Wendy Williams Joins 'Salute Her' Honorees To Kick Off Circle of Sisters Weekend
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here