Beyoncé, known far and wide these days as Queen B (or Bee), could’ve been a princess. A Disney princess, in particular.
Author Jen Rudin, while promoting her book, “Confessions of a Casting Director,” in an interview with the New York Post said that Beyoncé was once in the running for the lead voice role in “The Princess and the Frog,” but because she refused to tryout for the role, she was dropped from consideration.
“Beyoncé expected an offer, but wouldn’t audition and so she didn’t get one,” Rudin told Page Six.
However, Rudin revealed that some of Bey’s fellow R&B divas didn’t have a problem auditioning for the part, but ultimately it went to her lesser known (at the time) castmate from “Dreamgirls,” Anika Noni Rose (pictured below).
“Tyra Banks, Jennifer Hudson wanted it. Alicia Keys auditioned three times … They had to sing, so we made it clear they needed sheet music. Tyra came in with a CD, but it didn’t matter because she was so pretty and nice,” said Rudin. “[Ultimately] it went to Anika Noni Rose, who was the most qualified.”
Rose, now 41, ended up being cast as Tiana, the young woman whose fateful kiss with a frog prince is the subject of Disney’s (mostly) hand-drawn animated 2009 hit.
For those who are aware of Rose’s professional history, know she won a Tony Award for the 2004 Broadway musical “Caroline, or Change.” In other words, she may not have a biggest name, but she was no slouch in the talent dept. Since then, she’s starred on the big screen in Tyler Perry’s 2010 drama “For Colored Girls” and A&E’s 2011 miniseries “Bag of Bones.” She also co-starred with Jill Scott in the HBO series, “The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency” and recently starred in the Hallmark Channel’s “The Watsons Go to Birmingham.”
And speaking of animation and Beyoncé, she still ended up playing royalty. And instead of instead of being a princess, she went on to be the lead voice of Queen Tara in 20th Century Fox’s CG-animated fantasy adventure “Epic,” which was released back in May.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here