“Black Nativity” follows Langston (Jacob Latimore) as he embarks on a inspirational voyage after his mother (Jennifer Hudson) sends him to spend Christmas with his estranged grandparents.
EURweb associate Fahnia Thomas talked with some of the cast about the true meaning of faith, healing and family.
Forest Whitaker: “To build hope. You always want people to believe that its possible for their lives to be better. To know that it’s possible to love again and have some of the things you want to fulfill a full life. To have faith that things can happen.”
Angela Bassett: “To create a connectedness with each other. Today so many people feel alone, unseen, and unheard. The film gives the expectation of something good. And that there is possibility, change and, redemption.”
Tyrese Gibson: “To give hope to the hopeless, to inspire the uninspired, and motivate the unmotivated. There are a lot of people giving up.”
Mary J. Blige: “Because this is a different time and different things happening right now. There’s a generation of children on the rise that need to understand this movie because it doesn’t seem like its being taught in schools.”
Bishop T.D. Jakes: “I think faith is a big part of who we are and should not be left out of the conversation. I try to blend it in, in such a way that it is palatable. I don’t like to do movies that are totally preachy or totally secular. You cannot tell our story and divorce ourselves from our spirituality because it is so much of the American experience and certainly the African American experience.”
‘Black Nativity‘ opens in theaters November 27th.
Watch the interview below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here