“Black Nativity” follows Langston (Jacob Latimore) as he embarks on a inspirational voyage after his mother (Jennifer Hudson) sends him to spend Christmas with his estranged grandparents.
EURweb associate Fahnia Thomas talked with some of the cast about the true meaning of faith, healing and family.
Forest Whitaker: “To build hope. You always want people to believe that its possible for their lives to be better. To know that it’s possible to love again and have some of the things you want to fulfill a full life. To have faith that things can happen.”
Angela Bassett: “To create a connectedness with each other. Today so many people feel alone, unseen, and unheard. The film gives the expectation of something good. And that there is possibility, change and, redemption.”
Tyrese Gibson: “To give hope to the hopeless, to inspire the uninspired, and motivate the unmotivated. There are a lot of people giving up.”
Mary J. Blige: “Because this is a different time and different things happening right now. There’s a generation of children on the rise that need to understand this movie because it doesn’t seem like its being taught in schools.”
Bishop T.D. Jakes: “I think faith is a big part of who we are and should not be left out of the conversation. I try to blend it in, in such a way that it is palatable. I don’t like to do movies that are totally preachy or totally secular. You cannot tell our story and divorce ourselves from our spirituality because it is so much of the American experience and certainly the African American experience.”
‘Black Nativity‘ opens in theaters November 27th.
Watch the interview below.
- Chris Brown's Baby Mama Nia Guzman Responds to Criminal Allegations
- The Socialist's Journal: Kim Davis
- (Min. Paul Scott) Why Black Minds Matter: Readin’, Writin’ and Revolution
- CurlKit Launches 'Curlstar Favorits Box' - Offering Consumers Instant Access to Brands Coveted by Superstars
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here